What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bical x amp coming!?!

Ant

Your one and only pest!
I have one coming soon and I have a few questions.
* When I repot it, what substrate is best?
* Is it fussy about being repotted? Like will it enter shock?
* How fast does it grow?
* What do young plants look like?

Thanks for any help and any other tips would be great!

Any one? I really want to know before it gets here. I know I am being a little impatient but, this will be my frist semi difficult/moderate plant and I don't want my money to be a waste.

i just ordered one so i'd be interested to know as well. thx

~b

Just give it typical lowland conditions and I'm sure it will be fine. Neither Bicalcarata or Ampullaria are difficult, so it should be easy, especially considering that it is a hybrid. I'm sure it will grow quick once it reaches a certain stage, because Bicalc grows quickly and Ampullaria isn't exactly a slouch either. Typically however, at a small stage, even fast growing plants can take a while to take off.

Daniel

Thanks

thanks for the info!

~b

Well it came today, I think. I was opening it and took the very small all green pitcher less plant out and looked at the tag the simply said Nepenthes bicalcarata. I took it out and looked it up and down and thats all it said! Could they have messed up my order!?!:0o:

Your supplier very well could have made a mistake. Especially if plants at nursery are growing near each other and may not have pitchers yet. Check with your supplier and see. I'm sure they will make it right. Most CP suppliers are very cognizant of customer satisfaction.

I don't really care if it is. Its not like it is to much different from the hybrid. Besides, its not like I didn't want one, I was getting the hybrid because they are suppose to be easy compared to their parents.

Bical is easy as long as you keep it hot and humid. They get big though. I have a seedling I got last June. Has gone from 6" leafspan to 28" leafspan already and that was over the winter. Has also [produced 6 pitchers over winter; although I do suppliment lighting. Going into my lowland greenhouse in a week or so/still fine tuning. Its starting to take off now.

My bical finally popped out two larger normal looking leaves. Looks like it's finally getting w/ the program.

Apparently if you grow them wrong, they stay the same size for over a year.

I don't really care if it is. Its not like it is to much different from the hybrid. Besides, its not like I didn't want one, I was getting the hybrid because they are suppose to be easy compared to their parents.

Neither parent is hard at all. Both are excellent beginners plants.

I have the plant on the window with a puddle of water. The plant is not sitting in the water. What temp. should the plant be at? Is their a good lowland guide here? I just want to make sure I do things right from the start, I don't want to wait a year for a plant to acually grow bigger.

Well it came today, I think. I was opening it and took the very small all green pitcher less plant out and looked at the tag the simply said Nepenthes bicalcarata. I took it out and looked it up and down and thats all it said! Could they have messed up my order!?!:0o:

well, i'll put up a picture once mine comes in and see if it looks the same, since its from the same place.
can you post a picture?

~b

I will get pis. after school.

Here they are, I have it in a 2.5 gallon tank with a glass lid in the window, it gets a pretty good greenhouse effect and so far no dicline or browning pitcher nubs.

103_0002.jpg

103_0003.jpg

103_0004.jpg

I see that vendor still neglects their plants... Other vendors carrying the same cross from BE don't have plants that look that beat up. And yay for easter grass :glare:

:-)) To true, one look and you knew it was them!

How large do those plants/pitchers get? Much bigger than a straight ampullaria?

not sure, but it looks more like a bical.

Back