What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cultivar?

What is a cultivar?

A cultivar is a particular plant with "desirable" traits. When reproduced, all plants must retain the original traits (i.e. stem cuttings, leaf pullings, etc.).

Cultivars are not unique to Nepenthes. One problem is when people recreate the same cross from the parents of the cultivar, most notably, Pinguicula, as Joseph has discussed several times.

For example, the cultivar N. 'Lady Pauline' is a selected Nepenthes from the cross N. talangensis x maxima. Since no two seed grown plants are ever identical (especially in Nepenthes) this particular plant was selected and registered and received cultivar status. If you were to cross N. talagensis (f) and N. maxima (m) you would not create a N. 'Lady Pauline'.

Cultivars are notated by the single quotations (') around the name.

I'll see if I can find one of Joseph's posts about false cultivars.

xvart.

Cultivar stands for cultivated variety
Ex: there is red cultivars of venus flytraps but they are still the same species.
now that I have answered I hope anyone else who is new and has this question finds this thread, remember SEARCH THE FORUM FIRST!! :p

Here is a nice thread that contains information about cultivar confusion.

xvart.

i did search the forums there was nothing i saw

Back