What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Inorganic mixes

JB_OrchidGuy

Cardiac Nurse
ok I just got done reading the thread about rajah and it not liking to be repotted as it gets older. the thing is that the mixed with fir bark in them will break down in a year or two. As I use them with orchids and they need to be repotted because of the breakdown. I have been toying with the idea of trying to use hydroponics to grow nepenthes when I move up to MN. The mixes i have been thinking about using are rockwool and the expanded clay pellets used with orchids for semihydro. For the simple fact that the fir bark mixes break down and if you truly want to not disturb the roots it would be best to go with an inorganic mix.

Have anyone used any inorganic mixes successfully?

Thanks for sharing the rajah story Phil. I have a couple plants in pure LFS and many others in straight peat. Alot of my plants are in 12 inch pots so I did not have to repot them for a while, but after reading that thread I am afraid I need to repot many in a more open mix.

Thanks everyone.

Lots of people use purely inorganic mixes. Try burnt earth, hydroton, lecaton, arcillite, laterite, lava rock, pumice, broken glass, styrofoam, brick pieces, perlite, etc.

use plastic pellets or something plastic bags can last in the ground for years, Just an idea.

If they are clear plastic beads, that might be a good idea. I don't know if there's any kind of plastic that may be harmful in the long run...I don't think so though.

Airsoft pellets?
13086102.jpg

They come in clear too.

I am afraid those would float when the pot is flooded by the hydro pump. Need something that will not float if i am to flood the pot with a pump every 30-60 min. The pots will not hold any water. All the water will drain out of the pot between pump cycles. So it doesn't have to retain any water due to the pump cycles. But yet it needs to be open to the air when the water does drain away.

I just looked up hydroton. There is a product that is the same stuff but it is irregular shaped. I am looking up the the other stuff.

inert pea gravel? or marbles?

rockwool does break down if your ph is less than 5, and its ph will slowly rise over time. plus it gets all mushy.

~b

Any reason you posted the same exact thing a day apart?

oh I did not realize there was a second page to this thread thought I had closed out of a window before submitting my quick reply so I typed it up again the next day.
oops.

Back