What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

dark spots on ventricosa leaves

laxgoal

I Like Watching Things Grow...
Ok so the N. Ventricosa I have has 2 nice pitchers and an offshoot so I'm happy, but the leaves were a perfect green when I got it, and now they have dark spots around the edges. Is this ok?? I'm guessing its not too big of a deal seeing as the ventricosa is virtually indestructable. I also have it on my windowsill (which gives it plenty of good sunlight) as opposed to the Mikei which I keep in a terrarium. Also, the Mikei's pitchers shriveled up and died (i think because of the lack of humidity in my terrarium) so I am now misting it... do you think this will help it pitcher (it hasnt so far but it has 2 tendrils). I got it maybe 2 months ago. How long does it typically take for a shipped plant to create a new pitcher?

Hmm...I don't have neps yet, but based on my knowledge, Black spot sround the edges might either be a bad thing or the tendril is old (though I'm not sure if it's a tendril with a pitcher, the pitcher or the leaf will die first). What I've heard is that N. ventricosa is practically indestructable so it will probably live. Two reasons why I think it hasn't made pitchers yet is due either low humidity (even though N. ventricosa can still pitcher at very low humidity, but maybe), maybe it's still acclimating, or (which I doubt) is that it may not actually be receiving enough sunlight. Hopefully someone with more knowledge with Nepenthes will help.

ok, so here are the ventricosa leaves and one of its pitchers

416002.jpg

416003.jpg

and here is the mikei now (flash didnt go off for some reason)
416006.jpg

and here is the mikei when i got it. I want my pitchers back! lol.
MIKEI003.jpg

I would say it's too wet.

PS: What kind of Utrics are those behind mikei? They look nice.

oh it is U. Sandersonii. As soon as I upped the humidity it started to flower like crazy :)

Wait, is that a basal I see with the ventricosa? That might one reason why.

I don't know how you managed to overwater with a bark mix, but I'm pretty sure that's too wet. That, or fertilizer burn, but I doubt you use ferts.

yeah, it is a basal! I donno what to do with it so I am leaving it on. Yeah, the pot I have it in drains really quickly. I also may have taken that pic right after watering I dont keep it that wet I let it dry out on the top before re watering.

I have no clue what my humidity is... I spray the 10 gal like 2-3 times a day... I told my dad to get me a hygrogometer (or whatever they are called), but he is too lazy.

What kind of mix is that? It could be from salts in the mix, but I doubt it.

no, im not exactly sure what it is but I got it from a professional grower that runs a CP site. So I'm pretty sure the soil is fine. I think it might be bark, sphagum, peat, and perlite... not really sure though.

Yeah, probably water then. How often do you water? Even in mixes like that, I water once every 3-5 days.
You're using RO water right?

yeah it is distilled water i get by the gallon from QFC. ok, thats good. Its probably also acclimating because i got it a little while ago and it came from california. there hasnt been too much sun in WA lately and i dont keep it in the 10 gal terrarium like the mikei

Well, I can see that the soil mix is orchid bark (?), perlite and peat

theres a good portion of LFS in there too... its just not on the top.

K, I think that's good, but one question, did it come with the basal, or did it produce it? I would say you'd need to transplant or something, but in that condition, I wouldn't.

it came with it. the pitchers all seem to be doing ok... I think it might be a little bit of shipping shock... cause i got this like 2 weeks ago.

Back