Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Nepenthes lights - 5000K?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nepenthes lights - 5000K?

I'm growing one Nepenthes (I think it's a gracilis, I should really post a picture - bought at Lowe's the day after they arrived) in a terrarium right now, alongside some d. adelaes and d. caspenis. Beside the terrarium I have several venus fly traps; the rest are outside.

My next 2 or 3 purchases are certain to be lowland nepenthes for the terrarium (e.g. ampullaria).

I can mix and match six 48" fluorescent bulbs. Are three 6500K and three 5000K my best bet here, or something else?

I've read that 5000K is closer to tropical sun (my droseras and the nepenthes) and 6500K is more the kind of sun that a VFT is used to.

At the moment I'm using six 6500K lights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Valydius View Post
    I'm growing one Nepenthes (I think it's a gracilis, I should really post a picture - bought at Lowe's the day after they arrived) in a terrarium right now, alongside some d. adelaes and d. caspenis. Beside the terrarium I have several venus fly traps; the rest are outside.

My next 2 or 3 purchases are certain to be lowland nepenthes for the terrarium (e.g. ampullaria).

I can mix and match six 48" fluorescent bulbs. Are three 6500K and three 5000K my best bet here, or something else?

I've read that 5000K is closer to tropical sun (my droseras and the nepenthes) and 6500K is more the kind of sun that a VFT is used to.

At the moment I'm using six 6500K lights.
    your fine adelae and capensis will do fine under that light I don't think vft's will but I have my hamata under a 6500Kelvin bulb also.
    http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r...s/DSCF2747.jpg
    it's newest pitcher is starting to color up to a dark purple.
    http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r...s/DSCF2751.jpg
    view my growlist
    http://grwlist.notlong.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read here that for VFT's use 6500K lights if you don't have them in sunlight.

My main concern is that I find out what the right mix of light is for d. capensis, d. adelae, fly traps, and Nepenthes lowlanders.

Off-topic, but what kind of climate do your hamatas require and how big do they get? They're gorgeous

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    6500K is good, period. There's no "different kinds of sun". I grow all my LLs under 6500K, which, not surprisingly, is a "daylight" bulb.
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People get really hung up on temperature. Anything between 5,000K and 10,000K is good enough to use. 6500K is spot on, lower K's are what people use to promote flowering (or in my case, I can't find anything in a conversion lamp higher than 5,500 K hehe) and higher K's are just for aesthetics (no one really uses 10,000K but you can grow just fine under them if you light a crisp white with a touch of blue). Just use 6,500K.

N. hamata are highland plants and relatively small as far as Nepenthes go, until they start to climb.