What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My new and first nep!

Well, I went to Lowes to find death cubes and there weren't, but I found rooting (same as rootone, the lady said they might have changed names, it's still a powder though), and a bottle of superthrive. I asked to go to the local nursery to see what they had for CPs and I found this big pot-o-neps (there's like 6 or 7 plants in one and it was the smallest) that needs an ID.
Here's a pitcutre of the whole thing (no flash):
SN850751.jpg

Here are it's pitchers (flash except the baby pitcher forming between two leaves and the spikey thing):
SN850756.jpg

SN850758.jpg

SN850765.jpg

SN850767.jpg

SN850766.jpg

SN850771.jpg

The leaves (flash)
SN850768.jpg

Too big for the tank, so I have it at the window (no flash)
SN850754.jpg

Thats a N. ventrata (I think). Also it is just 1 plant.

Yeah, I think so, too, after seeing Cindy's thread.

No doubt about it. N. ventrata.

xvart.

What is the parent plant in ventrata? ventricosa or alata?

Jeez, nice find. I've visited all kinds of nurseries round these parts, including orchid nurseries, and have never seen anything other than the usual cubes of death. Enjoy your ventrata, it'll be easy to care for.

You are fortunate. There aren't many nurseries near where i live, and most of their CP (if any) are poorly taken care of. When i found my ventrata, it was on the brink of death, the soil was bone dry, it had received little to no sun light, half of it's pitchers were shriveled up, and when i took it back home with me, it was in shock and it didn't grow for 2 weeks. I bought mine last july at home depot. I wouldn't be surprised if they were trying to kill the plants instead of selling them. Since then my ventrata quadrupled in size but has only made 2 pitchers.

oops, sorry I mean witch is the mother plant!

Doesn't matter, it's still ventrata regardless of the pod parent. In the wild, the cross occurs in both directions ;)

Well, is there a difference in how they look bassed on the mother or father plant? Like is Bical x amp going to look the same (i now they won't look exactly the same because of genes and what not) as amp x bical?

Well, is there a difference in how they look bassed on the mother or father plant? Like is Bical x amp going to look the same (i now they won't look exactly the same because of genes and what not) as amp x bical?

Yeah, I thought that it would make a difference of who makes the seeds.

There's a theory that the pod parent shows up a bit more in influence, and it seems to be generally true, but not always. Species like truncata, ventricosa, etc, are going to be dominant no matter what parent they are.

Sexed traits aren't universal... some species may yield similar hybrids independent of which plant was the mother, while other species may have traits that are only carried on the male or female germ line.
As for the ID, when it's a ventrata-group plant as this one seems to be, I always like to mention "Deroose's Alata," which is a plant that was distributed labeled as though it were N. alata but was actually N. alata x ( alata x ventricosa ) and simply named after the mother plant. Looks like your typical N. x. ventrata but shows more of the alata traits.
~Joe

Beautiful find. I actually picked up a sorry looking N. ventrata at an Armstrong's Nursery about two weeks ago. It had a broken growth tip, so the nursery worker sold it to me for half price, which resulted in my acquisition of a nice-sized plant for only $8. Now I patiently wait for one of the dormant nodes to activate...

VERY nice! You're lucky-I picked up a huge clump of ventricosa recently and there was not a single live pitcher on it. Still isn't a pitcher to be found. I only know it is a ventricosa because I emailed the nursery that does the wholesaling (their name was on a tag) and asked which it was and they say that they only sell ventricosas.

Just wait 'til that first flower stalk-very cool when it finally happens. Congrats!

Beautiful find. I actually picked up a sorry looking N. ventrata at an Armstrong's Nursery about two weeks ago. It had a broken growth tip, so the nursery worker sold it to me for half price, which resulted in my acquisition of a nice-sized plant for only $8. Now I patiently wait for one of the dormant nodes to activate...

Hey LG, I think you can still request a Ventrata at Armstrong's and they come with a bunch of very healthy pitchers. I had to ask the manager though.

Daniel

Interesting. Which Armstrong's did you get yours at? What size and how much did you pay?

The one near Sea World. I think it was 20$. It was over a foot tall and had pitchers like this:

Ventratamaybe.jpg

Back