Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: How to foliar feed (properly)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JustLikeAPill View Post
    Whoo.[rest of text snipped]
    I followed all of that, actually. The fert I got is in fact Urea free and contains no micronutrients as far as I can tell (see xvart's link below).

The medium I use to grow my Neps is 1 part sphagnum peat, 1 part perlite, 1 part verniculite, and 1 part fine orchid bark.

I could probably use either method - soil fert or pitcher fert - but since I put LFS at the bottom 0.5 inches of the pot to prevent gradual soil loss, I'd better use the pitcher-fill method. or I'm going to have an algae problem, with loss of water draining as it fills the area, that I can do nothing about unless I remove the Nep and repot it (noooo!).

Next plant I get, I won't add any LFS to the bottom, and will try the soil fert method. I've no doubt I won't be able to tell the difference between the two.

Lastly, I have a feeling that the people who killed their pitchers by filling them with fertilizer had a good chunk of Urea Nitrogen in their fert, from what you're saying.

I should be OK for a pitcher fill with xvart's stuff.

You and xvart rock out. This was one of the most edifying threads ever.

Quote Originally Posted by xvart View Post
    With gusto? Okay, you asked for it:

Better Gro Orchid Plus 20-14-13!!!!!!

Mind you, I'm not trying to induce flowering or do anything super special or cool, as Phission mentioned. That's a whole other ballgame.

xvart.
    I ordered that exact bag last week. Hope it gets here soon.

Thanks for the gusto.

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Valydius View Post
    Next plant I get, I won't add any LFS to the bottom, and will try the soil fert method.
    I use orchid bark at the bottom of pots instead of LFS. It's course enough to easily allow water through, but blocks enough of the soil mixture from getting through.

It should also be remembered what Phission said earlier about flushing the pots afterwards. I neglect to mention that since my water schedule usually takes care of that; but if your mixture holds more moisture, you'll want to flush the pots within a couple or three days.

Quote Originally Posted by Valydius View Post
    Thanks for the gusto.
    My pleasure. Anytime.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With gusto? Okay, you asked for it:

Better Gro Orchid Plus 20-14-13!!!!!!

This stuff is loaded with copper, zinc etc. Micronutrients that JLaP mentioned were very harmful to Neps. I had purchased some from Lowe's and turned around and returned it unused.
    Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    spraying the leaves with ferts is like trying to get nutrients from OJ on your skin....

i also use(on and off...) better gro orchid Plus. but i dont remember the numbers for it

Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fryster View Post
    This stuff is loaded with copper, zinc etc. Micronutrients that JLaP mentioned were very harmful to Neps. I had purchased some from Lowe's and turned around and returned it unused.
    Which is why it was suggested to flush the pots well. These micronutrients only become a problem if they build up over time.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fryster View Post
    If xvart's been using this for a while and it isn't killing his Neps, why is this bad?

Every recommendation for fert I've gotten so far, someone else has said it was bad for Neps.

Osmocote contains copper, and they're made specifically for Neps.

Does anyone have a link to fertilizer that's not bad for Neps, or is the amount of copper/zinc in the 24-14-13 stuff xvart uses not enough to be troublesome to Neps?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which is why it was suggested to flush the pots well. These micronutrients only become a problem if they build up over time.

xvart.
    I assume you mean drench it with reverse osmosis water till it runs out the bottom? About 3 days after putting it in the soil?

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He flushes it so it doesn't build up, however the plants still absorb some until he flushes. It's sort of like eating cadmium or lead. You can eat non lethal doses... but then they build up and kill you. Extreme example, I know.

At the end of the day, even though he's flushing so it doesn't really build up in the media, he's still adding copper and zinc for the plants to absorb, and that's bad. I wouldn't buy it again if I were him. Besides, added micro nutrients cost more and Nepenthes haven't been shown to benefit them. Maybe they get their micro nutrients from the microfauna they inevitably catch. If you find a brand with added micro nutrients EXCEPT for copper and zinc, then go for it.

I'd like to know which osmocote line is made specifically for Nepenthes. That's a first. If osmocote does contain copper and zinc, don't use it! Or find a line of osmocote that does not. Why knowingly add POISON to your plants? Remember, minuscule amounts of arsenic is still arsenic. Some fertilizers, if you dig through the internet and find EVERYTHING in them tested at a lab, contain mercury, copper, zinc, lead, arsenic. I'm not kidding! These aren't added (trust me, if anything is added then they play it up with bright labels and charge more, and no one would add arsenic, lead, and mercury), but are impurities. These quantities are so minute that they don't matter. PURPOSELY added zinc and copper are bad.

To me, flush means thoroughly running water through the pot two or three times.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast