What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to foliar feed (properly)

Go back and re-read, Ron. I see lots of "if's", "can's", and 'IME's" in my posts. If you don't like my opinions, then don't follow my advice. I guess urea has a bad reputation for regular, not overly sensitive plants alone because they're all crazy and make up things. OK. It's also nice that you flush once. I believe I said "To me,".

Last edited by a moderator:
It does not decrease pitcher life
Wrong, in most cases. Depends on what fertilizer and what strength.

any added copper or zinc is toxic to your plants,
Whoah! ANY????

Oh, and plants don't have to be large to look nice:
DSCN0103.jpg

Well maybe avoid lfs when you fertilize the media ?
I maybe I'll try the soil drench method but need to switch over to peat perilite.
Maybe someone should try a controlled experiment ???

I would totally use the seaweed emulsion that Max speaks of, except for the smell (or is the smell just a myth?). A certain roommate of mine (my wife) would not be pleased if it is true.

And enough bickering.

xvart.

Alright, at the VERY least you can see how fertilizing does not hurt your plants, people.

An example of a plant under Clint's care. Pitchers are nine inches and leaves are only six or seven when measured along the contour. In their natural state, arched, it's 4.3 from end to end. -xvart.

Okay. This thread has been cleaned up a bit. In the future, anything remotely resembling a personal jab, insult, or one-upping others for no beneficial reason will result in the entire post being deleted, and I don't care if it's three miles long and scholars have claimed it the holiest of bibles. I apologize in advance if I butchered some of the posts in removing some parts; but, that's what happens. I guess I'm not sorry. Superiority contests can be done via pm if absolutely necessary.

Understood? Good.

xvart.

Sorry for the double post, I'll merge later, but for some reason whenever I click "edit" my wireless won't connect. Weird, I know.

I wanted to add that there is a lot of great content in this thread so far. I think, as many have suggested, fertilizing often turns out to be a preference based on other's experiences and personal experience. I would hate to have to close this discussion because there are lots of people contributing what works for them. Let's keep the educational parts to this discussion coming, and the personal crap behind.

xvart.

Wow. When you edit you really edit.

No, none taken. You know me, James. How could I ever get mad at you?

You know what's REALLY funny? It said you edited my post, but I still saw everything I posted, and I was going to say "If it makes you feel better, I can't tell that you did anything at all", but then like 10 minutes later you totally scalped it :p I'm glad I didn't post that now :)

No, none taken. You know me, James. How could I ever get mad at you?

You know what's REALLY funny? It said you edited my post, but I still saw everything I posted, and I was going to say "If it makes you feel better, I can't tell that you did anything at all", but then like 10 minutes later you totally scalped it :p I'm glad I didn't post that now :)

Yeah, that was weird. I did change it, but then when I went back it was still there. I clicked the back button several times because maybe I didn't "save," but it did, according to the back cached pages... Who knows...

xvart.

xvart,

When you use that fertilizer that you linked (which I have ordered and will arrive any day), after 3 days you said you flush the soil.

About how much water do you use?

Do you flush once? Twice? Three times a lady?

xvart,

When you use that fertilizer that you linked (which I have ordered and will arrive any day), after 3 days you said you flush the soil.

About how much water do you use?

Do you flush once? Twice? Three times a lady?

I flush the next time I water, which is generally two or three days later. My mix holds a decent amount of water, but not a lot. I would imagine as summer roles around and it gets warmer I'll have to water more often.

I only flush once, but very generously. Since my watering is hardly a science, I would wager to say that I use 1.5 - 2 times as much water per pot after fertilizing. There's a lot of extra run-off coming out of the pot (which is annoying since I only have so much collection bins of space, so it takes me a lot longer to water.

xvart.

xvart-

I, like Capslock, also use the MAXSEA all purpose 16-16-16 fertilizer and I find it has a pleasant, sweet smell to it. Nothing offensive that I can detect. So it shouldn't be too much of a problem for indoor use. Of course I'm biased...I like the smell of Sarracenia flava!

I fertilize at full strength - 1 tsp p/gallon every 2 weeks. I water the plants first with plain, clear water, then fertilize. I water again within 3 days..so my plants get multiple flushes before the next fert cycle. I use higher concentrations of this brand because my plants are grown in a very bright greenhouse. Under high amounts of light the plants can handle a bit more fert provided the remainder of your culture regimine is spot on. For seedlings I use 1/2 tsp p/gallon, even for newly sprouted seed on the same cycle, ie. every 2 weeks. I use this as a misting only, not a drench, seeing as the roots are not very long and misting pretty much drenches them anyways. LOL!

Small seedlings that are 1/2" - 1" diameter and larger are watered with the same 1/2 strength solution as a drench. These plants are all grown in a bark/mulch based mix with no traces of LFS present which makes it very free draining and ready for regular watering again within 2 days. Lighting for the seedlings is also kept very high, albeit it is artificial.

Wow thanks for the info Phil!! I have to try that maxsea stuff a lot of people use it. I currently use an osmocoat knock off.

Phil, you bring up a great point that I neglected to touch on. When I was into aquatic plants (co2 injection) I learned all about that balance you have to keep. As one variable (light, co2, nutrients) go up to down, you have to change the others or else you'll have problems. I wish we were all blessed with bright greenhouses filled with amazing plants like yours! Speaking on co2, I wonder if it would benefit Nepenthes to warrant using it.

xvart-

I, like Capslock, also use the MAXSEA all purpose 16-16-16 fertilizer and I find it has a pleasant, sweet smell to it. Nothing offensive that I can detect. So it shouldn't be too much of a problem for indoor use. Of course I'm biased...I like the smell of Sarracenia flava!

Haha. Good to know, Phil. I had an inclination to that being more based on myth or exaggeration than reality.

Yeah, but you've darn near ruined it with that plastic cup!!! :jester: :poke:

Heh.

xvart.

Of course I'm biased...I like the smell of Sarracenia flava!

Then what was that comment about wanting to get those blooms out of the fridge ASAP cause you kept almost passing out from the smell when getting a beer?? :-D :poke: :-D

Does anyone big (Lowe's, etc) carry the 16-16-16 Maxsea? I can only find the 2-1-3 (or whatever it is) stuff, which I think is a waste of time.

Back