User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What kind of light do you use? (fluorescents)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Sylvania - Cool White Plus (T12) 40 W 4100K year round. Buy a case (10) for under $20 at Lowes and put them just above your plants. It's cheaper and your plants won't give a hoot. I have vft's, sundews, pings, and utrics under them. All flower, set seed and generally thrive. That being said you gotta find out what works for you and your budget.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and The American G. I. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
    Romans 10: 9-13
    Growlist http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index...04&#entry90304

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a mix of GE T12 lights: Daylight and Plant & Aquarium

Also see this web page.

VERY informative.
    Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JMurphy97 View Post
    How long have you had the two and what kind are they? Good choice for putting the flaytraps outside.
    About a month -

One is an adelae (medium/large) - it turned burgundy under the 6500K's. Its newer leaves have some dew but the lower leaves don't (as expected) - the dew on it is barely noticeable.

The other is a capensis red - never produced much dew, hasn't grown a single new stalk.

Between these two I wondered if I was using the wrong mix of bulbs.

The two capensis narrows thrived under the 6500K's (new stalks like mad, all dewy), but since the mix with GE plant and aquarium (only 3 days ago) instead of all 6500's they have lost most of their dew (as in, 90%). Temp of 82ish and humidity of 80-90% has not changed.

Would eating 5 or 6 flightless fruit flies be a factor? I didn't even think of this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fryster View Post
    I use a mix of GE T12 lights: Daylight and Plant & Aquarium

Also see this web page.

VERY informative.
    This is exactly what I'm doing at present, Fryster - I have 3 of each of those GE lights over my plants, I just switched from six 6500's the other day.

I found your grow list - what's your temp/humidity, and how are your plants doing?

Specifically Nep pitchering and droseras being dewy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Valydius View Post
    I found your grow list - what's your temp/humidity, and how are your plants doing?

Specifically Nep pitchering and droseras being dewy.

Neps pitcher freely. 'cept my N. Lowii. (too warm for it)

I get plenty of dew on Dews. (heh) Good red colorization too. Most plants are about 8-10" away from lights.

My humidity fluctuates quite a bit for some reason. From a low of 25% to a high of 80%.

I think my exhaust fan is too powerful and expels more air than desired.

See here for my set-up.
    Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just get the GE Plant and Aquarium Wide Spectrum. From his experiment they look to be the best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fryster View Post
    Neps pitcher freely. 'cept my N. Lowii. (too warm for it)

I get plenty of dew on Dews. (heh) Good red colorization too. Most plants are about 8-10" away from lights.

My humidity fluctuates quite a bit for some reason. From a low of 25% to a high of 80%.

I think my exhaust fan is too powerful and expels more air than desired.

See here for my set-up.
    Funny, I was actually going to do something like this as well - I have the same shelf as you, except mine is black. My 2mm mylar just arrived today - the difference is I don't have fans just yet, and I was going to use clear plastic instead of white vinyl.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My setup is the same shelf as Fryster, with 2mil mylar on 3 sides, clear plastic on the front, top, and bottom. I am lighting each level with 4 40 watt GE daylight bulbs. The neps are loving it. I have a humidifier down lower, and a fan up top. I cut a 'vent' in the plastic up top, which just happens to sit right below an air condition vent. All in all, it's working out fantastic for my highlanders. About 75-78F in the day, 60-62F at night, humidity 75% to 90%. The plants are responding greatly to the light and are coloring up nicely. I have no plans to change my lights as these are working just fine, plus they are cheap!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast