User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 8 of 21

Thread: What kind of light do you use? (fluorescents)

  1. #1
    Veronis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    417
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    What kind of light do you use? (fluorescents)

    The Question

    I've read more info on bulbs than I care to think about (both on and off the forums), but I'm still not sure about what kinds I should use. My apologies for so many threads regarding lights.

    I've read the links that people throw to the forum; I need to use T12's so my options are with those.

    I'm presently using Lowe's-bought GE bulbs and I'll primarily be growing Nepenthes with a few drosera.

    Specifically in regard to T12's, what are you using?


    The Present Situation

    I've been using six standard 6500K GE's (3050 lumens, 75 CRI, 40-watt) - just about no red spectrum, mostly green/blue.

    I've heard a lot of people use all 6500K GE's with success & pitchering. True?

    Recently I mixed these with three 3400K "GE Plant & Aquarium" lights (1900 lumens, 90 CRI, 40-watt) - blue & red spectrum. This is what I'm doing presently.

    Shortly after adding the Plant & Aquarium lights, my capensis lost almost all its dew, so this is where the headwall begins.


    The I'm Still Lost
    *headwall*

    My one Nep was starting to pitcher under the six 6500K's and my capensis had dew. Should I have just stuck with six 6500K's?

    I thought having almost no red spectrum with just 6500K's would be a problem. Maybe it wouldn't.

  2. #2
    JMurphy97's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    1,250
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If everything was happy and growing and making dew why would you want to change it? Don't fix what's not broken and over think things. Just enjoy your plants.

  3. #3
    SirKristoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Puyallup, WA United States
    Posts
    4,132
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the GE 6500k you are refering to, being probably daylight or softwhite spectrum bulbs are what most people reccommend and what i use in my terrarium and are probably better than most bulbs out there.
    if im not mistaken the daylight spectrum bulbs produce light prefered by plants for flowering, and soft white for growing. so mix those and your plants will be perfect. thats from what i understand. i never used to the aquarium lighting because they usually dont put the spectrum out that the plants need. you could also try CFLs

  4. #4
    thepyro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Ledyard, CT
    Posts
    39
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my Highland shelf I have been using 4 T12's (two 'kitchen' bulbs and two of Philips Day bulbs). On my top shelf I use 4 T5 Day bulbs. Besides the day bulbs being brighter I haven't really noticed much of a difference from when I was growing all my highland Neps. with just day bulbs.

  5. #5
    Veronis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    417
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JMurphy97 View Post
    If everything was happy and growing and making dew why would you want to change it? Don't fix what's not broken and over think things. Just enjoy your plants.
    For one, two of my drosera weren't making dew, and my VFT's are looking kind of sad - but the VFT's are now being acclimated to go outside. I'm not going to shelf grow them anymore.

    Avi8tr recommended using three of each. If not having a red spectrum isn't a problem, I can easily take them back and either get three more 6500K's, or I can get 5000K's or whatever.

    Still learning; this is why I want to get a feel for what other people are having success with.


    Quote Originally Posted by SirKristoff View Post
    if im not mistaken the daylight spectrum bulbs produce light prefered by plants for flowering, and soft white for growing. so mix those and your plants will be perfect. thats from what i understand.
    I think you mean three 6500K daylight and three 5000K cool white, or 3500K (I think that's "warm")? Hum.


    Quote Originally Posted by thepyro View Post
    On my Highland shelf I have been using 4 T12's (two 'kitchen' bulbs and two of Philips Day bulbs). On my top shelf I use 4 T5 Day bulbs. Besides the day bulbs being brighter I haven't really noticed much of a difference from when I was growing all my highland Neps. with just day bulbs.
    So two 6500K's and two kitchen bulbs...do the kitchen bulbs specify a color temp, e.g. 5000K or what?

  6. #6
    thepyro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Ledyard, CT
    Posts
    39
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are warm bulbs, but I don't have the package anymore so I am not certain of the spectrum range though.

  7. #7
    Veronis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    417
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thepyro View Post
    They are warm bulbs, but I don't have the package anymore so I am not certain of the spectrum range though.
    Warm is around 3500K I believe.

  8. #8
    JMurphy97's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    1,250
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Valydius View Post
    For one, two of my drosera weren't making dew, and my VFT's are looking kind of sad - but the VFT's are now being acclimated to go outside. I'm not going to shelf grow them anymore.





    How long have you had the two and what kind are they? Good choice for putting the flaytraps outside.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •