What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes Pitcher FREAKY!

what it looks like to me.... the person you got it from cut off an old pitcher. made a hole at the base and stuck a new developing tendril. and it grew form there. the way that pitcher is positioned....it isnt right. way to horizontal.
Alex

Very weird. Try to see if you can get a better shot. Does your camera have macro? If not, you can ghetto rig it by taking a pic through a magnifying glass.

what it looks like to me.... the person you got it from cut off an old pitcher. made a hole at the base and stuck a new developing tendril. and it grew form there. the way that pitcher is positioned....it isnt right. way to horizontal.
Alex

Frankenstein nep? It can't be that. I doubt someone would do that, also the old pitcher would be completely browned if it wasn't attached to the plant.

Looks like its one of those cases where a person finds out theres actually parts of a fetus inside them... except its a nep pitcher. :crazy:

I've had some weird mutant growth at the bottom of pitchers before, but never a whole other well-formed pitcher. There must've been some deformity or injury to the growth tip as it was developing... seems like somewhere along the line the plant forgot to terminate the leading end of the tendril once it began to spread out into the pitcher/true leaf part of development. Hooray for embryology!
~Joe

I had that almost happen to me too with a raff. I caught and corrected it in time though. :)

Raff_cup.jpg

Way to be on your toes Fryster

Back