Thread: "Unpotting" with LFS

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Unpotting" with LFS

Gang -

There have been several discussion over the past couple of weeks over the merits (or lack of) of LFS as the sole or a portion of potting mix: I've only ever used pure LFS a handful of times, and have since slowly repotted everything out of it. Today, I finally had the time, and enough of the other mixes I prefer to use on hand so I took the liberty of unpotting my last pure LFS plant. I thought it might be of benefit to "document" this process.

My experience "unpotting" from LFS is always frustrating. The roots and LFS make a terribly tangled mess. It was near impossible to even come close to removing it all without massive root damage; unless I wanted to spend even more time and energy attempting to do so, at the possible cost of more root damage. Imagine a 8" pot with a depth of 8", full of LFS. After about ten minutes, I was left with this:

During the process I know I lost several roots as I could see them in the pile at the bottom. However, I know it didn't cause any permanent damage and will certainly recover. I only wish the LFS still in the ball would quickly turn into a slime and melt out the bottom of the pot and leave the new mix all by itself.

The dregs:

After working a little more, I finally repotted what was left in, in my opinion, a much preferable mix (orchid bark, some charcoal, perlite, some peat, and a pinch of LFS):

And, now we all get a chance to see why xvart is going to sleep on the couch tonight! (Just kidding) It was much worse, but I did quite a bit of cleanup of the dirty water that was spotting the carpet and the LFS shreds that were everywhere.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why did you not do this outside?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by upper View Post
    why did you not do this outside?
    Well... The short answer would be that all my supplies are in this room, and I don't want 150 college students walking by me asking what I'm doing.

xvart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you should like put newspapers down nextime.
    view my growlist
    http://grwlist.notlong.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    come on guys....its irrelevent to the main topic.

i personally like LFS. but i have made changes since i first started using it! first i used striaght LFS, nothing else. then i moved to LFS and perlite. and now im at a mix of LFS perlite and cypress mulch. really good drainage but holds water well. since im limited on how much water i can use(no RO filter) that mix will be my best bet. however i would hands down use a lighter mix given the chance. the main downside i see to it is repotting. its horrid my big sanguinea is in a pot of straight LFS. fantastic.... thatll be a trip to repot.

Alex

BTW: is that a Sabre? looks really nice!
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only use pure LFS because I can't water often. If I could, I'd go with 1/1/1 orchid mix/perlite/LFS.

It looks like the LFS was in good shape. If you were repotting into pure LFS again, there wasn't really a reason to tear it up. I guess LFS is only a problem if you ever plan on switching. Still, you're plant won't be set back too far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good idea to document this!

Pure LFS does wonders for cuttings, but generally I pot them out into normal stuff after several weeks.

Btw, I do most of my soil change indoors, like you. It's pretty cold out here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D_muscipula View Post
    you should like put newspapers down nextime.
    lol. Yeah, guys. I'd like to think I'm a fairly bright guy. The point is, I just don't care. My vacuum will take care of it quickly. But thanks for the suggestions, anyways...

Quote Originally Posted by glider14 View Post
    my big sanguinea is in a pot of straight LFS. fantastic.... thatll be a trip to repot.
    Yeah, I can't even imagine! I can't remember when I got this plant... maybe six months? I can't even imagine trying to repot something massive or well established like philcula's rajah that he was talking about. It's just a mess. The roots wrap around and between every little piece of LFS... Ugh. I've even stopped using LFS at the bottom of the pot to prevent mix from draining out because I've had some big root systems that go straight to the bottom and then just circle around and around and in and out of the LFS making even worse knots.

and now im at a mix of LFS perlite and cypress mulch. really good drainage but holds water well.
    Yeah, I understand completely. Which is exactly why I still use some throughout the mix, to hold some more water, but not be a total determinant to clogging up the root system.

Quote Originally Posted by JustLikeAPill View Post
    It looks like the LFS was in good shape. If you were repotting into pure LFS again, there wasn't really a reason to tear it up. I guess LFS is only a problem if you ever plan on switching. Still, you're plant won't be set back too far.
    Guess where I got it? It was in good shape. I wish I would've taken a before picture because the top looked great, nice and fluffy green. Picture perfect presentation. I am actually surprised it was doing so well since I had been fertilizing the LFS for however long I've had it. I was under the impression that ferts zapped LFS quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by JustLikeAPill View Post
    If you were repotting into pure LFS again, there wasn't really a reason to tear it up. I guess LFS is only a problem if you ever plan on switching. Still, you're plant won't be set back too far.
    Yes, I was switching it around. I'm not worried at all about the plant. I was careful, had minimal damage, and it's a vigorous clone. My frustration was more about the difficulty of the process and not how scared I was of the plant kicking the bucket.

Quote Originally Posted by Jefforever View Post
    Pure LFS does wonders for cuttings, but generally I pot them out into normal stuff after several weeks.
    Good point about cuttings. I have no problem with it when used sparingly or on smaller plants, but again, teasing this small root mass was near a nightmare. Imagine a 12" or 18" pot full of LFS and it starting to go bad! In my new mix, even if it does turn to mush, at least there is other stuff like bark to "fill in" and still support the plant.

Quote Originally Posted by Jefforever View Post
    Btw, I do most of my soil change indoors, like you. It's pretty cold out here.
    It's the only way to fly.

BTW: is that a Sabre? looks really nice!
    Thanks, Alex. You are correct. Here's a few more pictures. The other thing I hate about repotting, especially into bigger pots with longer tendril plants is they are so janktafied afterwards with the pitchers leaning all sorts of unnatural ways, as you'll see. I went with larger hanging pots because I'm thinking about moving them to my office by a nice window, or just adjusting some of my shelves to accomodate. The N. Black Dragon has especially long tendrils and I was already hanging it over the side of the shelf so they wouldn't get all tangled in the wire shelving. The light they were receiving was sufficient, but not adequate by my standards.

And now for the unnatural presentation of my pitchers leaning every possible direction...

xvart.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast