What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thoughts on over potting Neps

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
So, for some time now I have been using tap root pots (designed for trees) to pot my Neps in. Had a number of people ask about them a while back when I posted pics of my Neps in the windows here in the lab. And among that number were a couple who told me it was pointless to be using the tap root pots because Neps don't need that depth for their roots.

Anyways, yesterday, while transporting the last of my Neps home from the lab, I tumbled this pot and so had to repot. But while it was out I figured I'd take this shot:

P5080001.jpg

For reference, that taproot pot is 35cm (14") tall. The plant itself is only about 15cm across.

WOW.

I don't think I would have believed it if I hadn't seen it in a picture. ;)

But, what does this tell us? That we should be putting our Neps in much deeper pots or that Neps can grow happily in almost any depth pot??

But, what does this tell us? That we should be putting our Neps in much deeper pots or that Neps can grow happily in almost any depth pot??

I was more trying to make the second point. That Neps can (or, better yet, do) grow well in deep pots. I think it is a misconception that they will not.

I am not saying you must deep pot them by any means. Just that it is not such a terrible thing as some would proclaim it.

Why would someone every say that? As if all wild plants are really actually potted, with thee puts buried.

As long as you adjust your media mix if necessary to account for them not drying out as quickly, it's great. And convenient.

Why would someone every say that? As if all wild plants are really actually potted, with thee puts buried.

As long as you adjust your media mix if necessary to account for them not drying out as quickly, it's great. And convenient.

Really... this never made any sense to me either. How could it possibly be a problem? At the very least, it makes it easier to get your plants closer to the lights. I think bigger pots in general are a plus - Neps are big plants as adults, after all. I have a few Neps in tall pots like that (not quite as narrow, but much taller than the plant diameter.) I haven't had enough time to really say whether it's been beneficial or not, but there were no ill effects and it seems to reduce repotting shock. I do notice that a lot of long-time growers like NepsAroundTheHouse have their biggest, nicest plants potted taller vs. larger; I have several photos from a certain foreign exporter's greenhouse with tall nursery pots for as far as the eye can see...
Have you tried orchid baskets/net pots with any of your plants? I'm interested to see how they compare to nursery pots. I had this kooky idea that if I put my highlanders in net pots then I could leave them in a little standing water after every watering without having to worry about the roots being smothered (with the intention of putting them outside over the summer in this way.) My two test plants, N. sanguinea and alata x ventrata, hardly missed a beat and seem to love the new setup. I just repotted about a half dozen other plants two weeks ago and most of them haven't gone shocky at all.
~Joe

I can't remember specific species, but I know that some Nepenthes root structures tend to grow out while others grow down. It's even obvious with juvenile plants when you repot from smaller pots when you pull it out and there is a huge mass of roots at the bottom.

By the way, what is that? N. Red Dragon?

xvart.

Hey X,

Yes, some species are "spreaders" and not "divers". N. rajah would be a good example. Howeve, from conversations with a few growers I trust, I have been told that even the "spreaders" tend to put down one or two "taproots" as anchors.

Good eye. That is x Red Dragon

Where did you get those pots?

Ordered online from Charley's Greenhouse

Have you tried orchid baskets/net pots with any of your plants?

I have not because I can not water frequently enough to use them, however if you can these are ideal.

Rafflesiana would be an example of a "diver." The roots end up finding their way out through the drainage holes no matter how large of a pot I use. I might just try a tall pot next time I decide to repot. Thanks for the pictures Pyro.

Have you tried orchid baskets/net pots with any of your plants?

~Joe

I"ve used those square ceder orchid for my neps in the past. I lined them with fiberglass screening so that the substrate wouldn't fall out. I really liked using them as they drained very well and allowed me to water heavily everyday without risk of rotting. I also liked the way they looked, but thats besides the point. If I had room (say a green house) I would even consider exclusively using this type of pot.

Wow I somehow totally missed this thread.

Anyway, I think any pot is fine as long as it is going to provide enough room for root mass. A plant that grows mostly "horizontal" roots will start sending them down if the pot is deep but not large otherwise, just like a plant with mostly "vertical" roots will send them sideways if the pot isn't deep enough. You might be able to argue that a deep pot is better for truncata, and a wide one better for rajah, but I'm not sure how much more beneficial it would be in comparison to just a large pot all around.

I never know what kind of size pot to use. Sometimes I'll put things in a huge pot and repot a year later, and there aren't many roots, or I put them in a "normal" sized pot, and when i repot, the roots are filling the entire thing. My bicals have never made a ridiculous amount of roots. The biggest root producers for me are bellii, merrilliana, and especially sp. Viking.

I have found that I was overwatering and rotted out many of my plants roots. They just fell apart. I know with some plants if you grow them dryer you encourage root growth and better root growth. Orchids are like that. If you water them more they reduce the need for roots because there is an abundance of water to be had. I am wondering if nepenthes are like this. Maybe one could encourage the plant to dive in search of water so grow a larger root mass. That is very interesting.

I have several plants in orchid baskets and plastic mesh pots. I have a vent "hotlips", "jungle bells" black and red dragon, sabre, vent x truncata and sanguinea in these type of pots. You juat have to have a moisture retentive mix for them to do ok. My Heavy peat mix does ok in these and so far no signs of root rot because the pot can dry out some if I don;t wanter in a few days. I normally line the pots with LFA then fill with media and plants and top dress with LFS. So far so good, but I don't have any long term experience with them. Most of my plants are around a year or less in these pots.

I am wondering if nepenthes are like this. Maybe one could encourage the plant to dive in search of water so grow a larger root mass.
I've been saying to do that for a long time. I notice much better root growth in the pots that are allowed to dry out. I water my plants every 3 days usually...lately they've been going about 4, but sometimes go up to a week. The most ridiculous roots are on the plants I have in 1:1:1 fir bark/charcoal/perlite (or acrillite as the case may be). Even after a week without water, the only one that looks slightly dessicated is a ventrata, but it is about a foot across, and only in a 2.5" pot lol.

Another point to make about pot size and type is:

A squat pot will hold more water than a taller pot, therefore they should be avoided IE: bulbs pans or azalea type pots.

Taller pots promote much better aeration and drainage, remember water goes from a source to a sink or a high to a low. So, the deeper the pot, the less likely the roots will be in the zone of saturation and in effect, be more healthy.

Personally, I try to shoot for either water plant baskets (mesh pots) or a pot that is taller than wide. A Nepenthes plant doesn't need soil, its roots do, so if you planted a plant, just in general, with a long taproot into a tall cylindrical pot, it would grow fine, if it was in an azalea pot, it would probably die due to too much water and low 02 levels.

Just some food for thought....

Back