Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on over potting Neps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thoughts on over potting Neps

So, for some time now I have been using tap root pots (designed for trees) to pot my Neps in. Had a number of people ask about them a while back when I posted pics of my Neps in the windows here in the lab. And among that number were a couple who told me it was pointless to be using the tap root pots because Neps don't need that depth for their roots.

Anyways, yesterday, while transporting the last of my Neps home from the lab, I tumbled this pot and so had to repot. But while it was out I figured I'd take this shot:

For reference, that taproot pot is 35cm (14") tall. The plant itself is only about 15cm across.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW.

I don't think I would have believed it if I hadn't seen it in a picture.

But, what does this tell us? That we should be putting our Neps in much deeper pots or that Neps can grow happily in almost any depth pot??
    Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fryster View Post
    But, what does this tell us? That we should be putting our Neps in much deeper pots or that Neps can grow happily in almost any depth pot??

I was more trying to make the second point. That Neps can (or, better yet, do) grow well in deep pots. I think it is a misconception that they will not.

I am not saying you must deep pot them by any means. Just that it is not such a terrible thing as some would proclaim it.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why would someone every say that? As if all wild plants are really actually potted, with thee puts buried.

As long as you adjust your media mix if necessary to account for them not drying out as quickly, it's great. And convenient.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JustLikeAPill View Post
    Why would someone every say that? As if all wild plants are really actually potted, with thee puts buried.

As long as you adjust your media mix if necessary to account for them not drying out as quickly, it's great. And convenient.
    Really... this never made any sense to me either. How could it possibly be a problem? At the very least, it makes it easier to get your plants closer to the lights. I think bigger pots in general are a plus - Neps are big plants as adults, after all. I have a few Neps in tall pots like that (not quite as narrow, but much taller than the plant diameter.) I haven't had enough time to really say whether it's been beneficial or not, but there were no ill effects and it seems to reduce repotting shock. I do notice that a lot of long-time growers like NepsAroundTheHouse have their biggest, nicest plants potted taller vs. larger; I have several photos from a certain foreign exporter's greenhouse with tall nursery pots for as far as the eye can see...
    Have you tried orchid baskets/net pots with any of your plants? I'm interested to see how they compare to nursery pots. I had this kooky idea that if I put my highlanders in net pots then I could leave them in a little standing water after every watering without having to worry about the roots being smothered (with the intention of putting them outside over the summer in this way.) My two test plants, N. sanguinea and alata x ventrata, hardly missed a beat and seem to love the new setup. I just repotted about a half dozen other plants two weeks ago and most of them haven't gone shocky at all.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't remember specific species, but I know that some Nepenthes root structures tend to grow out while others grow down. It's even obvious with juvenile plants when you repot from smaller pots when you pull it out and there is a huge mass of roots at the bottom.

By the way, what is that? N. Red Dragon?

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey X,

Yes, some species are "spreaders" and not "divers". N. rajah would be a good example. Howeve, from conversations with a few growers I trust, I have been told that even the "spreaders" tend to put down one or two "taproots" as anchors.

Good eye. That is x Red Dragon

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where did you get those pots?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast