What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Young N. Hamata, Wistuba clone 1

JMatt

Stovepipe (The Beast) RIP My friend.
Here is one of my little N. hamata plants.
I got it last August from Wistuba. It has grown quite a bit in less than a year!
I had to start all over with these plants. I originally had a nice BE plant that was putting out 5 inch pitchers but it got something like rust and slowly declined. I tried everything but it never came back. It was during the summer and I tried to grow it in the house. I think it was just too hot. Now I grow them in my basement. I also have a Wistuba clone 4 that is a little smaller than this, and the red Hairy form that has turned into a three growing point Medusa plant. I would like to get clone 2 and 3 this year.
JMatt

dsc01843zw3.jpg

dsc01840tm8.jpg

Great looking plant!

I had similar heat-related problems with my past N. hamatas. My conditions were just too hot for them. What kind of temps do you get in your basement?

Great looking plants! When you decide to cut that three growth plants let a brotha know! He he. Thanks for sharing.

Amazing! Hamata must obviously be a low growing Nepenthes. The actual leaves (not the pitchers) make it look like a dark green pinguicula.

It is still in the rosette stage capensis. It has nto started vining yet.

Gorgeous Hamata! What's your humidity and night temp?

It is still in the rosette stage capensis. It has nto started vining yet.

Oh, my bad. It's just that my N. ventricosa 'red' makes about the same size leaf and pitchers and is starting to vine a little so that's what I thought. I forgot that Nepenthes have a rosette stage.

Great looking plant!

I had similar heat-related problems with my past N. hamatas. My conditions were just too hot for them. What kind of temps do you get in your basement?

I know! I lost my only one 2 years ago in a freak Oregonian summer heat wave... :-(

Well the temps in the basement lately have been 50's at night to 60's daytime.
Summertime it really never gets any higher than 75. I really haven't been monitoring it.
I grow all my highlanders down there now and they all seem to do just fine.
JMatt

I think its getting too warm for my highlanders...it's starting to push the 80's almost everyday... should i start using a fan?

You know, I've always wondered...do N. hamata hurt if you poke their "teeth?"

As long as you have a night drop they shoudl be fine. Many HLs have temps in the 80s during the day in the wild.

You know, I've always wondered...do N. hamata hurt if you poke their "teeth?"

yeah they hurt I imagine they could cut you if not slice you up.
Why don't you put your hand down a large plants pitcher and try pulling it back out, things will get ugly quick.

Summer is rapidly approaching and my room can reach 75 and it's probably hotter in my tanks, any ideas on how to cool my hamata tank, maybe blow cool fog inside with a mister?

yeah they hurt I imagine they could cut you if not slice you up.
Why don't you put your hand down a large plants pitcher and try pulling it back out, things will get ugly quick.

Saw V anyone?

xvart.

As long as you have a night drop they shoudl be fine. Many HLs have temps in the 80s during the day in the wild.

Yeah, I find that my highlanders do just fine with temps in the 80s and 90s during the day, as long as they have a significant temperature drop at night, ideally into the 60s and 50s.

It only becomes a problem when the nighttime temperature doesn't fall any lower than the 70s and 80s, which was my problem back in Alta Loma. I had all these wonderful highlanders that absolutely hated my conditions. It would get into the 90s during the day, and wouldn't drop below the 80s at night.

Now that I grow all my highlanders outside in San Diego, they are going nuts with the cool nights. The real test will be will June through September, since this will be their first San Diego summer. I'm hoping they will have acclimated enough by then to tough it through the higher temperatures.

Wooo~ Excellent !!
Nice nepenthes my friend.
Thanks to your sharing.:-D
Really envy your environment. Hahaha~

Man nice hamata! I can't wait til mine gets that big. I just got maybe a 1in pitcher the other day. Gotta start somewhere though.

atleast yours is still pitchering :'(

Yeah, I find that my highlanders do just fine with temps in the 80s and 90s during the day, as long as they have a significant temperature drop at night, ideally into the 60s and 50s.

It only becomes a problem when the nighttime temperature doesn't fall any lower than the 70s and 80s, which was my problem back in Alta Loma. I had all these wonderful highlanders that absolutely hated my conditions. It would get into the 90s during the day, and wouldn't drop below the 80s at night.

Now that I grow all my highlanders outside in San Diego, they are going nuts with the cool nights. The real test will be will June through September, since this will be their first San Diego summer. I'm hoping they will have acclimated enough by then to tough it through the higher temperatures.

San diego summer temps can be brutal. They should definitely stress but u probably won't lose anything. I grew inland last year with really high summer temps and I was fine. Now that I'm near the beach it should be much better. Your temps should be similar in the valley.

Daniel

Back