What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First flower stalk!!

Hey guys, got my first nepenthes flower stalk! The problem is that I dont know if it is male or female and the plant is unknown... So any help would be great.
100_1646.jpg

100_1648.jpg

100_1647.jpg

Here are some older pitchers
100_1526.jpg

100_1337.jpg

Thanks for any help

Jay.

Do you know if it's a species or hybrid?
If it's a hybrid, it looks like it definately has some ventricosa in it.
Sorry I can't help out more.

I think it is a hybrid, a couple people said it did have some vent in it...I think I found the same plant on Elgecko's website before he updated it.
Hmm those are shaped kind of goofy...
The pitchers or the flower?

The flower looks female to me! But I'm not really a nep flower expert... :-))

Pretty plant, whatever it is.

it is kinda "different"...but it looks like a female to me! Thats good for you!

That's a female. The hybrid reminds me of burkei x ventricosa and the clone in circulation is also a female.

Need Pollen?

Mines flowering :D My spathulata X maxima Maybe it is a male,I'll have to wait awhile longer.
That would be interesting.

Thanks for the help guys, maybe a little later we can tell better. srduggins- would deff be interested in sending you some when it opens, have not clue how to collect it....

you dont collect pollen from a female plant....males make the pollen :) i have a male sanguinea orange coming into flower. this is my first stalk too so i dont know how long itll be till i get open flowers. but mine does look a bit like the stage yours is on. just out of the leaf. ill be happy to send you pollen though!

hey Steve: got any females for mine? :)

Alex

Congrats! I like those pitchers.

My bad, thanks for clearin that up glider. Would love to get some pollen and split the seeds if everything works out...So iv heard it could be, miranda, mixta, or burkei x ventricosa. Well thanks guys

Jay.

Update.

I think its now open because it smells like crap. So is it still a female?
100_1717.jpg

100_1708.jpg

100_1707.jpg

Thanks for any help

Jay.

Female all ze way
Get you some of that sanguinea pollen from glider

i have a male ventricosa if you'd like...

Female flower, you obviously have good luck!

FWIW I think it could be truncata x ventricosa

Do the flowers smell like fritos?

lol I dunno bout fritos but it really had a strong smell to it.

I was just wondering. I know that Nep flowers don't smell "good" but the truncatas over at Atlanta Botanical Garden smell like Fritos when they are blooming.

Back