Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sigh...mildew.

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By no means mature, this is what my N. 'Lady Pauline' did in 15% or less humidity coming out of winter:

(I still can't tell what the greyish fuzz is in the pictures. It isn't there (or noticeable) in real time, so I tried to adjust the light on my camera, which mottled out some of the beautiful redness).

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

What is and what should never be Crissytal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're concerned about humidity, perhaps you can try a pebble tray? The average humidity in my house is around 30%. Since I've added the pebble tray on my grow rack (it's enclosed on the sides and back; open on the front and between each rack except for the lights hanging down) it's averaging between 60-70% during the day. Before my lights come on in the morning, around 8:30 am, the humidity is around 80 some. Of course this method isn't as good as what some of the others have mentioned with constructing a grow chamber because the humidity will start to drop the higher you go above the pebbles, but it does seem to work pretty well. If you'd like, I can get some pictures in the morning.

Crystal
    Where do we go when we just don't know,
    And how do we relight the flame when it's cold?
    Why do we dream when our thoughts mean nothing,
    And when will we learn to control?
    --Godsmack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I honestly wouldn't worry about the mildew on the wall. You just need to clean it up ASAP before it gets bad.

I have tenants that let mildew grow onto the walls in bathrooms, if unchecked it causes a problem. But any normal household cleaner should be able to get rid of it. It's what I have to do when they can't take care of themselves.

I don't know much about your living space, renting / owning / parents / etc, but there's also specific mildew resistant paints you can buy. This is the stuff that I use to paint all my basement rafters with to protect them from moist nasty basements.

Nate
    My Grow List

"It is only by studying nature that can we ever hope to defeat it."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay this thread has given me a lot of good ideas. Its day time now so my I can think clearly again and I think that if I keep the fan going for the day (which I'm almost sure is fine!) everything will probably be okay. I might try the pebble tray thing.
    Nightsky,
    your technique sounds great! Okay, mabye I'll take in hour two this week just to screw arund with my setup! Should be fun.
    How about I just rap the area in cell phone rolls (with holes for ventalation), and stick the fan and humidifier in there? That migt just work, and it probably won't be to expensive, either.
    So how does that setup sound?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12