Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hamata Availability

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i agree with you Cindy. Doesn't the peristoma change when hybridised? And there is not a bical to this date that has a pair of fangs. I have only seen one with a single fang and it was a backcross. In other words had a double shot of bical in it. I wouldn't be dishing out 150 for a single plant right now but in the future I might. I would love to get a breeding pair of hamatas.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well...back crosses can be very complex. Look at the problem with the macrophylla clones in cultivation. ppl don't know what that is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hamata x something has a loss of the extreme peristome. Hamata x something x hamata (or maybe 1 more hamata cross and from then on) will look like a hamata.

If the seed grown hamata looks like a hamata, is it not a hamata?
    Well those platychilas sure "looked" like platychilas, superficially at least, didn't they? All I'm saying is if the seed grown hamatas are from the same batch (which there is a very high likelihood of that being the case), some of them are definitely hybrids. However, Rob said they were "clearly" hybrids, so he may well have picked them out, in which case there'd be a 0% chance of you getting an obvious hybrid, though as aforementioned, an introgressed hybrid is certainly possible, though I have no idea how probable. Like I've said in other forums though, there comes a point where one has to say "so what?", and call it the real thing anyway. For me, if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck...you get the idea.

Why does it matter if that bical hybrid you saw was a backcross? How else would you strengthen the expression of whatever trait you were looking for that was only in one of the parents?

Anyway, for $150, I'd much rather have a jamban . Not that I can grow any of that stuff anyway....
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The N. hamata Phissionkorps is referring to is another variety (hairy) where very unexpectedly, a few ndividuals turned out ot be hybrids with (probably) N. tentactulata which wasn't observed in the vicinity.

This particular N. hamata is not the hairy type and is from a different mountain from both the hairy type and the typical type offered before.

Here's a photo of 2" dia seedling:

Those of you that grow this species will know that hybrids of N. hamata (at least those recorded so far) don't show peristome teeth like this at a young age - or even at all. So I believe it's a pretty safe bet that these are true species.
    Rob Cantley
    Nep Nut in Sri Lanka
    http://www.borneoexotics.com

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well....they do look pretty....but personally I am with PK on this one. Not that I can afford it, but if I could, I would rather get a jamban than get a seed grown hamata. I know, I know that there is a chance that the individual you can get may turn out to be a unique hamata with blood red leaves and only one of its kind. But well....you know....sometimes its better to get clones when you are at the beginning stages of this hobby to first ensure that you can grow these species well. Hey! if I did have money to throw around...I wouldn't mind getting a red leaved hamata. BTW....the more I look at it...the more enticing it seems Rob. beautiful. Have you put some of these seeds in TC as well??

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is a jamban clone less likely to be "introgressed"? It is a seed to begin with isn't it? So would it have a chance to be also impure? A possible hybrid? Unless the clone has been grown to adult stage and all its morphology fits the descriptions to a T. But I don't think Rob has an adult jamban yet.
    Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it would be less likely because it would be more visible as to which ones are clearly hybrids. I think the ones being sold by the retailers are ~2", and BE probably has stock of some that are a little bigger. At that point, you could compare things and weed out the obvious hybrids, though some less obvious ones may remain. It seems like the spur is ignored sometimes, even when its drastically different, and I don't know why (because it's small/people just don't notice it?). If the description studied a good number of plants in the wild, and lists the spur as "0.2-0.5mm, simple", but your plant has a multi-branched spur that is a few mm long, it's not 100% what it should be.

The above hamata Rob posted is from an undisclosed mountain, so I have no idea what grows there, etc (tentaculata?). Jamban territory, IIRC, has a few species growing within a km or so of it, so theoretically at least, I would expect jamban to have a higher probability of introgression, but the plants that grow there may just have awesome temporal isolation, or something else that blocks out that possibility.

BTW those hamatas are awesome looking. Are they under really intense lighting, or are the leaves always like that? Regardless, I'd rather have one of those than the other ones circulating thus far. Very nice. Of course I can't grow it though. But in regards to things I can actually grow...when are those merrillianas coming out .

People forget about us
    You're telling me. I'm still waiting on a 700m tentaculata. They're obviously out there, somewhere. I think you could make a killing selling those to all the LL growers.
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Next time seed is collected it would be nice to get some from the lower end of the range if these weren't already.

People forget about us

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast