What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hamata Availability

Just a heads up everyone: Seems like Hamatas are becoming available this time of year through a few vendors. Even some seed grown material! :) I know some people here are desperately seeking the Hammies, so heres your chance. Keep an eye open and some spare cash around.

Daniel

Where did a female come from?

The wild.
Let me also make a point - if you're buying seedlings from wild collected seed, unless you have money to burn or like playing lotteries, don't pony up too much for one. As we've seen recently, there are quite a few introgressed hybrids popping up in wild collected seed batches.

Hmm good thing I already have one, it would be sweet if it were female.

they are pretty expensive though based on the one source I assume Nepenthes is talking about. ;) 150$ ?? DAMN!!!

$150 is reasonable for a seed grown N. hamata. If you're guaranteed it's pure.

Always pay extra for a pedigree. If you can pay extra for unique material, do it. If you have the choice of paying more for a clone with a pedigree versus a random, unknown clone, pay extra. It may come in handy one day. Assuming it IS 150, and you didn't decide to get a shiny new N. lingulata or N. macrophylla instead, you'd be paying to be the only person to ever have that plant. It's YOURS. Not identical to someone else's. When you think of your plant as YOURS instead of a disposable clone that came from a jar, with an unlimited supply of plants just like it, it feels a little.... sentimental. Maybe you can hand it down to your kid and he his kid, and it'll be the family N. hamata. Or maybe not.... Nepenthes aren't exactly heirloom plants. But it's a nice thought! The other HUGE reason to pay more for a unique individual is for the chance that it's a female. That would further increase it's value, both monetarily, sexually, and in some people's cases (me) affectionately. I treat my ladies nicer than my boys. If there's ever a fire, the female's are the first things I'll grab before I run!

it would be sweet if it were female.
It won't be. Unless you buy one of the seed ones, you have about a 0% chance of having a female plant. I'm pretty sure people have told you this about 12 times (at least)....I've seen it.

$150 is aight I guess if you could be guaranteed purity, but you can't. After the platychila fiasco, etc, I won't pay for seed grown plants from wild-collected seed unless I can see a pic of them first. However, I will pay for wild collected seed. If these are from the same stock that Rob said something about on ICPS, I (personally at least) wouldn't pay $150 for one. In one of the threads he said:

some of them are clearly hybrids

Food for thought, if you're planning on buying one.

Just a thought, how "introgressed" can a hamata be?

I was wondering because all hamata hybrids so far have lost the signature peristome. If the seed grown hamata looks like a hamata, is it not a hamata? :0o:

My knowledge of Nep morphology is limited only to the pure species. I always fail at guessing the parentage of the complex hybrids! :-))

i agree with you Cindy. Doesn't the peristoma change when hybridised? And there is not a bical to this date that has a pair of fangs. I have only seen one with a single fang and it was a backcross. In other words had a double shot of bical in it. I wouldn't be dishing out 150 for a single plant right now but in the future I might. I would love to get a breeding pair of hamatas.

well...back crosses can be very complex. Look at the problem with the macrophylla clones in cultivation. ppl don't know what that is.

Hamata x something has a loss of the extreme peristome. Hamata x something x hamata (or maybe 1 more hamata cross and from then on) will look like a hamata.

If the seed grown hamata looks like a hamata, is it not a hamata?
Well those platychilas sure "looked" like platychilas, superficially at least, didn't they? All I'm saying is if the seed grown hamatas are from the same batch (which there is a very high likelihood of that being the case), some of them are definitely hybrids. However, Rob said they were "clearly" hybrids, so he may well have picked them out, in which case there'd be a 0% chance of you getting an obvious hybrid, though as aforementioned, an introgressed hybrid is certainly possible, though I have no idea how probable. Like I've said in other forums though, there comes a point where one has to say "so what?", and call it the real thing anyway. For me, if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck...you get the idea.

Why does it matter if that bical hybrid you saw was a backcross? How else would you strengthen the expression of whatever trait you were looking for that was only in one of the parents?

Anyway, for $150, I'd much rather have a jamban :D. Not that I can grow any of that stuff anyway....

The N. hamata Phissionkorps is referring to is another variety (hairy) where very unexpectedly, a few ndividuals turned out ot be hybrids with (probably) N. tentactulata which wasn't observed in the vicinity.

This particular N. hamata is not the hairy type and is from a different mountain from both the hairy type and the typical type offered before.

Here's a photo of 2" dia seedling:

0452-0 hamM.jpg

Those of you that grow this species will know that hybrids of N. hamata (at least those recorded so far) don't show peristome teeth like this at a young age - or even at all. So I believe it's a pretty safe bet that these are true species.

Well....they do look pretty....but personally I am with PK on this one. Not that I can afford it, but if I could, I would rather get a jamban than get a seed grown hamata. I know, I know that there is a chance that the individual you can get may turn out to be a unique hamata with blood red leaves and only one of its kind. But well....you know....sometimes its better to get clones when you are at the beginning stages of this hobby to first ensure that you can grow these species well. Hey! if I did have money to throw around...I wouldn't mind getting a red leaved hamata. ;) BTW....the more I look at it...the more enticing it seems Rob. ;) beautiful. Have you put some of these seeds in TC as well??

Is a jamban clone less likely to be "introgressed"? It is a seed to begin with isn't it? So would it have a chance to be also impure? A possible hybrid? Unless the clone has been grown to adult stage and all its morphology fits the descriptions to a T. But I don't think Rob has an adult jamban yet. ;)

I think it would be less likely because it would be more visible as to which ones are clearly hybrids. I think the ones being sold by the retailers are ~2", and BE probably has stock of some that are a little bigger. At that point, you could compare things and weed out the obvious hybrids, though some less obvious ones may remain. It seems like the spur is ignored sometimes, even when its drastically different, and I don't know why (because it's small/people just don't notice it?). If the description studied a good number of plants in the wild, and lists the spur as "0.2-0.5mm, simple", but your plant has a multi-branched spur that is a few mm long, it's not 100% what it should be.

The above hamata Rob posted is from an undisclosed mountain, so I have no idea what grows there, etc (tentaculata?). Jamban territory, IIRC, has a few species growing within a km or so of it, so theoretically at least, I would expect jamban to have a higher probability of introgression, but the plants that grow there may just have awesome temporal isolation, or something else that blocks out that possibility.

BTW those hamatas are awesome looking. Are they under really intense lighting, or are the leaves always like that? Regardless, I'd rather have one of those than the other ones circulating thus far. Very nice. Of course I can't grow it though. But in regards to things I can actually grow...when are those merrillianas coming out :D.

People forget about us
You're telling me. I'm still waiting on a 700m tentaculata. They're obviously out there, somewhere. I think you could make a killing selling those to all the LL growers.

Next time seed is collected it would be nice to get some from the lower end of the range if these weren't already.

People forget about us :(

i wish my hamata was older and dishing out flowers...i could do some pretty wicked hybrids >=]

I wish we could get seed from the lower end of the range but these plants inhabit quite a narrow altitude band. These are from 1900m.

The red colouration of the leaves is due to light levels in the nursery and will not be maintained as the plants grow up. The lower pitchers of this form are more robust than the commonly cultivated TC clones from another location but the uppers don't have as large sickle teeth.

If someone would PM me with where such hamata were available, I'd be much obliged.

Capslock

Back