Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hamata Availability

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hamata Availability

Just a heads up everyone: Seems like Hamatas are becoming available this time of year through a few vendors. Even some seed grown material! I know some people here are desperately seeking the Hammies, so heres your chance. Keep an eye open and some spare cash around.

Daniel
    - Daniel

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where did a female come from?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The wild.
    Let me also make a point - if you're buying seedlings from wild collected seed, unless you have money to burn or like playing lotteries, don't pony up too much for one. As we've seen recently, there are quite a few introgressed hybrids popping up in wild collected seed batches.
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm good thing I already have one, it would be sweet if it were female.
    view my growlist
    http://grwlist.notlong.com

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    they are pretty expensive though based on the one source I assume Nepenthes is talking about. 150$ ?? DAMN!!!

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $150 is reasonable for a seed grown N. hamata. If you're guaranteed it's pure.

Always pay extra for a pedigree. If you can pay extra for unique material, do it. If you have the choice of paying more for a clone with a pedigree versus a random, unknown clone, pay extra. It may come in handy one day. Assuming it IS 150, and you didn't decide to get a shiny new N. lingulata or N. macrophylla instead, you'd be paying to be the only person to ever have that plant. It's YOURS. Not identical to someone else's. When you think of your plant as YOURS instead of a disposable clone that came from a jar, with an unlimited supply of plants just like it, it feels a little.... sentimental. Maybe you can hand it down to your kid and he his kid, and it'll be the family N. hamata. Or maybe not.... Nepenthes aren't exactly heirloom plants. But it's a nice thought! The other HUGE reason to pay more for a unique individual is for the chance that it's a female. That would further increase it's value, both monetarily, sexually, and in some people's cases (me) affectionately. I treat my ladies nicer than my boys. If there's ever a fire, the female's are the first things I'll grab before I run!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it would be sweet if it were female.
    It won't be. Unless you buy one of the seed ones, you have about a 0% chance of having a female plant. I'm pretty sure people have told you this about 12 times (at least)....I've seen it.

$150 is aight I guess if you could be guaranteed purity, but you can't. After the platychila fiasco, etc, I won't pay for seed grown plants from wild-collected seed unless I can see a pic of them first. However, I will pay for wild collected seed. If these are from the same stock that Rob said something about on ICPS, I (personally at least) wouldn't pay $150 for one. In one of the threads he said:

some of them are clearly hybrids
    Food for thought, if you're planning on buying one.
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a thought, how "introgressed" can a hamata be?

I was wondering because all hamata hybrids so far have lost the signature peristome. If the seed grown hamata looks like a hamata, is it not a hamata?

My knowledge of Nep morphology is limited only to the pure species. I always fail at guessing the parentage of the complex hybrids!
    Cindy

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast