What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ailing Hamata...any thoughts?

CP_dude

future nursury owner...i hope
The leaves are kinda yellowish and seem quite thin.
it's environment has not changed since last fall...and it only made one pitcher since then...and it was quite big, but that was over 3 months ago...

it has many pitcher buds...but none seem to want to pitcher anymore...:(

i just sprayed it insecticide...just in case it was thrips...AGAIN!

it's temps are 80's during the day, mid 60's at night, with a humidity boost at night, up to 90%

any thoughts?

here's some pics

what are your growing conditions for it?
media used in your pot?

uhh, the media is peat/coconut fibers and husks...but that hasn't changed either....do you think the problem is old media? it's about a year old...

lighting is 2 20" floresent tubes....they haven't changed either...just replaced them like last week though... but i used the same kind

i used 2 24" lights for awhile. i use 4 now. you might try more light.
the media shouldnt be too big of a deal, but it should be changed incase of root issues. o_o repot it, look at the root structure and make sure it doesnt have root rot, and pot it in some new media. thats all i can really think of, maybe some better lighting. temp shouldnt be too big of an issue now that i think of it. ive seen hamata grown as a windowsill plant lol.

lol, now that you mention it, they are 24"...lol

i had it like 2-3 inches away from the light so the lighing was more intense...then the leaves starting turning yellow, so i moved it down to about 5-6 inches away...

so frusterating...
i need more media now...lol! what do you use for your nepenthes media? what's good, cause i'm all out of the coconut stuff...

im not all too knowledgeable on neps. but peat/sphagnum/perlite, coco fiber/peat, peat/perlite, peat/perlite/vermiculite. are all mixtures ive heard of
or some involving volcanic rock i believe...never tried that though.
most of my neps are sphagnum/perlite grown.

i would usually just do a peat/perlite mix, that's what the rest of my neps are growing in, but i'm pretty cautious with my hamata...

i guess i could do a temporary peat/perlite just for the sake of checking it's roots....

i think i'll go do that right now actually...lol

i just checked the roots...they looked fine to me...some were dead, but there were many more healthy to make up for it.

lol, NAKED HAMATA!!!

well, be careful with it...hamata hates being disturbed...but if it isnt doing anything right now, maybe it needs a change.

The mix I use for neps is

1 part lfs
1 part perlite
a handfull of peat
1 part vermiculite
a bit of hortacolture charcoal
1 part pumice
1 part fine grade orchid bark
1 part medium grade orchid bark
and a top dressing of long fiber spagnum

hope it works
Matt

The mix I use for neps is

1 part lfs
1 part perlite
a handfull of peat
1 part vermiculite
a bit of hortacolture charcoal
1 part pumice
1 part fine grade orchid bark
1 part medium grade orchid bark
and a top dressing of long fiber spagnum

hope it works
Matt
wow! that's a lot of ingredients i should try it!

ya i like the drainage but it can get expensive if you have a lot of plants
Matt

Does the plant get any additional light from any windows?

And the solution is.... send it to me!!:-D

On a more serious note; Try repotting it. And do you ever feed it? After all it is a carnivorous plant and it's lookin' a bit on the hungry side!
-Josh

Last edited:
On a more serious note; Try repotting it. And do you ever feed it? After all it is a carnivorous plant and it's lookin' a bit on the hungry side!
-Josh

well...i WOULD feed it, but it's only pitcher is home to a spider...that decided to block the entire entrance with web.

there is a large window in my room, but the grow rack is located in the back of the room...and my room is very small and i can't move it. on the other hand, i'm going to college soon, so maybe my dorm room will have a nice window in it...

To me looks like the leaves are turning yellow out of lack of nutrition, so you need to clear the pitcher out and feed it or fertilize it..

2 things

1) Are you sure that web belongs to a spider and not mites?

2) I'll echo the hamata hates disturbance thing. I know it is a bit late to say now but try not to unpot it unless absolutely necessary...

With the web if it's a spider try to remove the web so it can get food try and find the spider so it'll not repeat making webs, either put it outside or use twisers to feed to the pitcher plant or a vft once the web is cleared up and spider gone you can feed the pitcher I hope it's not mites.

lol, no, it's not mites...i personally put the spider in the water to feed it, then the next day there was a web...and i saw the spider in the middle of it, somehow it escaped....

i think i will clear it out though...it's for the Hamata!

since i'm here, i might as well say that since i transplanted it, it seems like it's doing better already... it looks like the leaves are a tad bit greener...and some of the light brown spots dissapeared!

maybe it was a good idea :)

Back