What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes Cutting

xvart

Doing it wrong until I do it right.
Staff member
Here's a quick picture (5/28/09) of a cutting I am attempting to root. We'll see how it goes and I'll update every so often.

NIledeFrance-52808.jpg

xvart.

Last edited:
Hey Xvart!

Grats on getting a cutting! I also have one of a N. Maxima, but it is pretty much sucking ATM. I can see that you have a small growth point above that bud...congrats! I also have a more hooked looking one on mine, but it hasn't done anything in around 3 weeks...o well I hope its growing some roots or something. I wish you luck with yours...heres a kind of crappy pic of mine, but I think you can still see the curly growth point...btw what type of Nepenthes is it?

DSCN3716.jpg

Zach

You may also want to consider the water-in-a-vase method, recommended by Sheila. So far I am 1 for 1 with it.

HPIM0857-1.jpg

HPIM0856-1.jpg

Hey Jimscott,

About how long did it take that cutting to get to the point that it is at in your picture?

Can someone please tell me or direct me to a method of rooting that never fails for them? Because I've tried rooting an ampullaria 3 times with no success.

-Max

What I do for cuttings is take a three node cut off of a green vine and plant in moist peat moss. Just straight peat, no hormones or anything fancy. Humidity is the key, all my cuttings are in a greenhouse and are kept in more shade than my other plants. Hope this helps, I have rooted the following:
x 'Ventrata'
ventricosa x maxima
x 'Gentle'
thorelii x aristolochioides
and more all successfully with this method

-Sam

I've had nearly 100% success rate using NZ or Chilean LFS moistened (damp, not wet) with distilled water, with near 100% humidity in 85F with 16hr photoperiod, I also let the cut end of the cutting dry out overnight to "harden" the surface, and sometimes slice into the bottom end to expose more tissue. But with N. amps, snapping off those basal rosettes are pretty easy to root. - Rich

I followed Ludwig's method of cutting away the two sides of the outer stem with a sharp knife.

Then I stuck it in a nice big ball of LFS and then buried that within my typical airy mix so as the roots grow and the LFS decays I won't have to move it.

You may also want to consider the water-in-a-vase method, recommended by Sheila. So far I am 1 for 1 with it.

I thought about doing that, but I've read that certain Nepenthes don't do as well in water, and I was more worried about rotting my cutting. I'll probably try the water method next time.

xvart.

What if you grow most your neps in pure LFS anyway? Could I just put it in a pot of LFS? I've tried using LFS and pure perlite. What should I do as far as temp and humidty? And do cuttings like alot of light?

What if you grow most your neps in pure LFS anyway? Could I just put it in a pot of LFS? I've tried using LFS and pure perlite. What should I do as far as temp and humidty? And do cuttings like alot of light?

From what I've read, good light, but not direct intense light. High humidity and good air circulation are important, too. I just mentioned my soil composition because a lot of people repot when there is a good root ball, but I'm not planning on doing that. Just personal preference I suppose.

xvart.

:3 here is a couple of my Ventrata cuttings i received from JB_Orchidguy a couple months ago
they just went BOOM lol.
duel growth points on each, really quite amazing.
here they are now. about a month and a half after the nodes first appeared.
VentratacuttingsVFTseedlings001.jpg

Hey you got the same temp. gauge as me.:glare:

Would good but not direct light be like placing a cutting in the corner of your terrarium?

I place my cuttings in a mix of peat, sphagnum moss and clay chips. I keep them in a little wardian case which maintains the humidity very high. I also make sure that they don't get direct sunlight so they don't wilt, and I also spray them with some fungicide to prevent fungus overgrowth. Other than that, don't fiddle with the cuttings too much, as they don't like being bothered. :)

Joel

Would good but not direct light be like placing a cutting in the corner of your terrarium?

I have mine directly under my lights. I meant not direct sunlight.

xvart.

lol i fiddle with my cuttings alot....
they dont seem to mind o_o;;;
though i only move em to check on em, i dont uproot em or any of that, and if i do its immediately placed back in.

I have that gauge too. Says humidity is much higher than it really is. I put it in a different part of my house and the next day, it was reading 53%. Nonsense!

lol water in my terrarium kinda ruined the humidity gauge...but after living in florida for 13 years, ive got a good feeling on humidity...and evidently its just right, 60% in day 80-90% at night :3
temps 65-70 at night 80-85 in day

Update: 6/4/08

Near a week later:
NIledeFrance3-6408.jpg

NIledeFrance2-6408.jpg

I wish I had x-ray vision to scope out any possible root development.

xvart.

Nice Xvart!! Wish mine would do something...

Anyways I have a quick question about cuttings, and I don't mean to hijack this thread but...if your cutting is of the very top of the vine that still contains the apical meristem, will it just continue to grow like normal, or will it produce other nodes?

Thanks!

Zach

Dear Zach,

Yes, it will (hopefully) root and keep growing like normal.

xvart.

edit: and don't worry about the hijack, that's why I created this thread.

Back