What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Judith Finn-First CP

elsantaclause

A windowsill grower
Hi I just got a Judith Finn Nepenthes from an online store and it's going to be my first CP. Well I just got it in the mail a couple days ago and it looked pretty healthy but it didn't have any pitchers. How do I get them to grow pitchers? I keep it in a 4-inch pot with holes on bottom for drainage and I keep it on a rack for a 4 hours in the late afternoon and next to the window in the morning until I get home from school. At night i bring it inside my house so its not too cold. I don't know much about humidity but should I keep it in a ziploc bag with a hole for ventilation or by itself? I water it 2-3 time a day.
Thanks I look forward to keeping more CPs in the future

Welcome to Terraforums. It will grow pitchers if you give it good light, air movement, and soil mixture. Did it come potted? If not, what did you use for soil?

It's probably not necessary to keep moving it around. I would put it by a nice sunny window where it will get lots of indirect sunlight. Moving it around is probably not the best idea, since you want your plant to get acclimated to one set of conditions, instead of constantly having to adjust to outside/inside.

You don't need to water so often either. Nepenthes like it damp, but not soaking. I water mine every two to three days, when the soil starts drying out.

And, do not use a ziplock bag. Humidity is overrated and you will suffocate it or foster a great environment for fungus and death. What's your humidity in your house naturally? My Nepenthes pitcher naturally in humidity ranging from less than 15% to 50%.

Post a picture if you can!

xvart.

Nope it didn't come potted and I used the soil my brother made for me-polywer2345
I forgot what he used to make it and i can't ask him since he's on his 5th grade camping trip.
And Ill take your suggestion and put it on my window
How many hours of sunlight do they need because I think the window that I will place it in has sunlight from like 6 in the morning to around 2-4 in the afternoon
Should i keep my window closed and the door closed also to get better humidity?

What About Sanguinea?
Should I put that on the windowsill to?

A Sanguinea does well on a window I have two at a window which gets alot of light and my humidity is around 30%-50% so far they're growing extremly well one is forming it's first pitcher and the other one already has one.

Both N.Judith Finn and N.Sanguinea are good starter Nepenthes if you can post pictures that'll help and once you find out the media it's in that'll help too also since you just got the Judith finn it will probably make pitchers once it's used to it's enviroment I agree with xvart keep the plant in one area that gets sun I have my Neps and sundews in south window.

You can get a cheap humidity and temp gauge at wallmart for around $6 I think I forgot how much I got the acurite one.

The soil is a mixture of Perilite, sphagnum, and peat moss for the judith finn. The sanguinea already came potted. The sanguinea stopped growing pitchers and the remaining ones died off after my brother took it out of a terrarium due to high bill costs =(. If i put it on my windowsill will pitchers grow back again?

Can you also link me to where to get the cheap Humidity and Temp gauge?

If i put it on my windowsill will pitchers grow back again?

No pitchers will grow from the leaves that had pitchers that died. New pitchers will grow from new leaves.

xvart.

I've been thinking about moving one of my Judith Finn's from the growrack to the living room for some natural light. Both of my Finn's are getting too big and too unwieldy for the growrack.

But I'm concerned about the lower humidity and lower light in the living room. I think that it would drop all of its pitchers, but may grow new ones later.

How sturdy are Finn's as average houseplants??

You can also grow them in a planter. I've had this Judith Finn and ventrata sinec 2004, having chnaged them from a hanging baket to the planter. Artificial lighting would be good, also, as a supplement, when we head into fall and winter.

Welcome to TF!

why is my brother on this site he is so wierd:} it is not hisneopenthes it is our nepenthes mostly mine:)

Wow a first cp is always exciting, what is kind of funny was my first cp was also nepenthes Judith Finn! I was a good choice too because it grows so easily!
Well best of luck!
Metransome~

Below I hope they grow pitchers soon

I got picks now!

The First 3 are the Sanguinea and the Last 2 are the Judith Finn

Photo-0037.jpg

Photo-0036.jpg

Photo-0035.jpg

Photo-0034.jpg

Photo-0033.jpg

lol, i dont even let any of my family member or anyone that dont know what a sarracenia is, touch my plant....

it'd be sweet if my brothers or sisters were into CP's I could split these costs :)

Back