What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bitten off more than i can chew.... Experts needed

Hi Everybody,
Im hoping some of you may be able to help me out with my nepenthes, Ive had it about 2 weeks now and its since opened 2 new pitchers, the trouble is that it is HUGE! Im keen to keep it healthy as its such a truly wonderful plant but I have to admit Im daunted at the prospect because where I have cared for many unusual plants in the past, this one is quite new to me entirely! When I went to buy a pitcher I had never envisioned one like that even existed but I was instantly enchanted and had to have it, it didnt look very well cared for, infact I nearly missed it, as it must of been hanging out the way for years, hence why I got it so cheap $10. Anyway enough sentiment, the facts:
Its big:
DSCF0944.jpg

DSCF0882.jpg

When i bought it it had 1 dying pitcher which is really small:
DSCF0958.jpg

Its since growing new parts everywhere and keps entwining itself, some of the leaves are quite yellow, and of the 2 new pitchers that have opedned one has formed a split:
DSCF0955.jpg

DSCF0956.jpg

The other one seems bigger and healthier:
DSCF0942.jpg

DSCF0948.jpg

I would appreicate any help or advice on keeping it healthy, cuttings etc...
Many thanks:)

DSCF0957.jpg

WoW! Great One!:-O

If it ever gets too daunting, I would be happy to take it off your hands!
:-))
That plant is worth a lot more then $10

Time to make some cuttings!

Nice plant! :bigthumpup: not sure if you're braggin' or complaining! ;) - Rich

Im not bragging! Blimey no, i need help damn it, if i make cuttings im worried i will mess it up, and i wonder what would happen if i just left it grow as it is, it must need a bigger pot?

Also was hoping some kindly dear would tell me some tips to care for it, what i need to know is what should i do to it...

if you're just wondering what general caring is needed, theres tons of info here and it can easily be had by searching. Theres even lots of good threads one properly making/taking/rooting cuttings.

I hope it does well for you, it would kill me to see it die.
So keep it's soil moist not soggy, they like humidity but it is not absolutely neccessary to grow a nepenthes, it depends on the species. I think it could be highland, if so it enjoys a night time drop in temperature. If it's a lowland plant it needs it warm and humid. If it's an intermediate it falls in the middle, it can tolerate night time drops in temperature but a nighttime drop is not at all necessary. Nepenthes are more tolerant of hard water than other carnivorous plants but it's still a good idea to use water free of minerals and salts such as reverse osmosis (RO). They are tropical and best grown as houseplants in colder climates.

If it's growing and making pitchers, you must be doing something right!

Looks like it could use a bigger pot. Low doses of organic fertilizer may also be helpful.

If you're looking for a good book on cultivating carnivorous plants, I recommend The Savage Garden by Peter D'Amato. It's a little on the old side but has a lot of great info on growing.

Don't worry about messing up with cuttings, just cut 1 or 2 stems to a good size, if neither on grows a nod or 2 off the stem, you still have the smaller one in the pot and it is bound to grow a few new stems from its roots. I believe this site on taking cutting will help. http://www.nepenthesaroundthehouse.com/takingcuttings.htm

It looks to me like N. Gentle

Wow great plant!!! That was definitely a steal for ten dollars!! Ya it looks like it could maybe use a larger pot, but other than that if it is pitchering for you then you are doing something right!!

Zach

Im not bragging! Blimey no, i need help damn it, if i make cuttings im worried i will mess it up, and i wonder what would happen if i just left it grow as it is, it must need a bigger pot?

If it's coming back after just two weeks, you've got nothing to worry about. Neps are slow and picky, so your conditions must be good if you're getting new growth. You have enough leaders to experiment - once you're familiar with it, take a whole vine and try cuttings (read up on it beforehand, of course.) With a little advice and a good rooting hormone, it should be pretty easy for you to get a lot of starts that way. If you save the tip of the vine and root it, it'll behave just as mature as it did when you cut it, but with greater vigor from having its own exclusive root system.
Big plants might appreciate repotting. To be honest, though, under the circumstances I would probably feel more confident trying to get clone from cuttings beforehand.
Congratz - that's a killer find.
~Joe

thank you everyone! :)
Much appreciated

That has to be N. Gentle. If it is than it should be easy to look after.
Man, that is HUGE!

I don't believe it is an N. Gentle, but I could be mistaken. I have an N. Velvet, which is supposedly the same as N. Gentle. The picture is definitely of an upper pitcher, and N. Velvet (also Gentle, maybe?) does not have such coloration on its upper pitchers. This upper has the coloration of a N. Velvet lower, but N. Velvet uppers are just a really plain bright green with some dark splotches. Nothing to write home about like the upper pictured.

Back