Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who uses Maxsea?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by killerplantsguy View Post
    I use 1 tsp/gal. about once a month, less often in the winter, and it's applied an hour or two after a regular watering. (It also encourages rapid growth of sphagnum, which is a mixed blessing!)
    Encourages growth of sphagnum? Not for me. The instant I apply any kind of fertilizer it breaks down.

Ilbasso, I use it full strength (2 heaping teaspoons per gallon as directed) and use it about twice a week. I never "flush" the pots on purpose, but I just water them when they look dry.

I've gotten amazing results from the stuff on N. maxima, aristo, densiflora (weak clone), ramispina, spectabilis x ventricosa, "Caesar", etc. as well as on heliamphora hybrids, cephalotus, and even my U. reniformis "giant"!

Be cautious if you decide to use full strength, cause some kinds will be burned. These are campulanata, (hamata?!), macrophylla, and ovata.

But only on the campy is the burning serious. Most fail to make developed tendrils but put out enormous leaves. I stopped application of maxsea for a couple weeks and the pitchers develop on the newer leaves.

If you wanna see wicked sick growth you might also wanna try oscmocote slow release pellets. I put a handful of pellets in each pot. It breaks down the media - but they grow as fast or faster than with application of maxsea.

Have fun!

Killer plants guy - is that a hairy Hamata? Looking good!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use maxsea on all my neps, in the same manner that KPG does. I'm sold on the results. I find that it breaks down dead lfs, but live lfs seems to like it.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no experience , and I don't understand using live LFS as potting media. Doesn't LFS need water logged conditions, while neps like to dry out a little?
    Can anyone explain how this works?

Alec

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by alec View Post
    I have no experience , and I don't understand using live LFS as potting media. Doesn't LFS need water logged conditions, while neps like to dry out a little?
    Can anyone explain how this works?

Alec
    Live Long Fibered Sphagnum is mostly used as a top-dressing because it has a nice green lush appearance to it. When LFS is used as the actual growing media however, it is usually dried dead LFS (preferably shredded). Live LFS just needs to stay moist and be watered frequently, which is fine as a topdressing because it will retain moisture. If you have a quick-draining mix and water daily, this works out nicely. Just a note, live LFS will die with no sunlight, so even if it was actually used as a growing medium, it would be dead soon enough.

Daniel
    - Daniel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have over the past few years been growing Nepenthes in the greenhouse under mist and in a section that is hard to reach so that I do not fertilize them. I am about to add a fertilizer injection system to the mist this will slowly release fertilizer into the mist itself and I am wondering what kind of effect it will have on my larger plants as well as my smaller ones.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12