Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pitchers don't last. At all.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was given a mix by DuckKing today. I don't have time to water it frequently enough for this, but it surprised me at how loose it was. The loosest mix I've seen used for this plant.

One part peat, two barks bart, one part ORCHID bark (didn't specify the first parts bark) and one part charcoal (for all intents and purposes.... bark hehe). His plants look well, and he said he's been growing them for two years. Very hot lowland conditions, so I do not believe my plants got hot at all.

I don't think it can possibly by the fertilizer it's self, either. Unless it's just too salty and this is the one species I've come across that the saltiness, not the fertilizer it's self, bothers it. Fertilizer does NO Nepenthes any harm, only good when used properly. Maybe 10% is too much. You could be totally right. I just rest five to ten. There isn't much info on this plant, and less on using calcium. I can easily try five percent with this next one.

I don't NEED any at all. I've seen nice plants with and without it. Sam's plant is the largest I've seen. I asked him and he adds no calcium. Unless the cinder he adds has calcium in it.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I fertilized on the 16th. Does anyone want to guess what happened?

I left a cup of fertilizer out overnight in my terrarium. Mold growing on the top. Overnight! Significantly. There's no visible mold on the plant at all (not even with a magnifying glass) but maybe whatever the mold is feeding on just happens to leave a residue that the N. campanulata doesn't agree with.

I'm going to have to switch. Does anyone know if Maxsea/Neptunes Harvest leaves a residue? It's pretty apparent mine is full of crap since it turns the water milky, and the bottle it's self is full of concentrated browns sludge, I just haven't had anything else complain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the Neptunes stuff. I did recently fill one pitcher half full with a 1/2 strength solution. Within about two days, the surface of the fluid in the pitcher had algae on it. Not a lot, but I didn't notice any mold. The pitcher had no other material in it prior to this fertilization.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    being we're on a mold kick, I thought I'd highjack this thread (:
    first off, I'm wondering if you all of you top water your plants and don't use the water tray method.I have been using the water tray method for all my plants and it seems the slime mold loves it. I've never fertilized my plants, but I think the LFS and peat moss I use must be nutrient-rich. I was just curious if top-watering keeps the nutrients from rising to the top and prevents the subsequential slime mold from developing.
    Visit The Sundew Grow Guides: http://www.growsundews.com
    New- Drosera video tours & other sundew info, now on YouTube!

Happy Growing!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12