Likes Likes:  0

Thread: N. Macfarlanei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

N. Macfarlanei

Hey everyone!

So I received an order of Nepenthes about three weeks ago consisting of a N. Spectabilis, N. Mikei, and a N. Macfarlanei. Both the N. Spectabilis and N. Mikei are growing great(especially the N. Mikei), but the N. Macfarlanei seems to be slacking. The N. Mikei and N. Macfarlanei were about the same size(around 3 inch diameter), and since the time I got them, the N. Mikei has opened a pitcher that it came with, and grown a whole new pitcher and opened it up, while the N. Macfarlanei has only today decided to open up a pitcher that it shipped with. So my question is, is N. Macfarlanei considered a slow grower, or am I just not providing the right conditions(conditions are a terrarium that all my other highlanders seem to be happy with)?

Thanks for any replies!!!

Zach

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're comparing N. mikei and N. spectabilis to N. macfarlanei. The former two are practically weeds compared to the latter, which is slower growing and prefers higher humidity.

I've had plants take months to do at all, much less open a pitcher, and that is not unusual. It seems to be that you don't have any problems as of now N. macfarlanei is an underrated species, and I'll never know why. I much prefer it to a lot of the other peninsular Peninsular Malaysian plants! I really like the long tendrils and the peristome attachment to the operculum.

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clint has it right. I got a N. macfarlanei back in October or November and just this month made it's first pitcher.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What Clint said x 2. Three weeks is not very long and it is growing, probably still acclimating. I have kept some Neps that took 18 months to wake up and start growing. The key word is patience. Also consistent conditions/do not move the plant around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My mac pitchered within 2 months of getting it and has made four pitchers since October . I grow it on a shelf in the windowsill. It pitchered fine with no extra lighting and 30% humidity. I guess I have a different form than you guys or something...
    Insanity is a sane response to an insane world.

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nepfreak View Post
    My mac pitchered within 2 months of getting it and has made four pitchers since October . I grow it on a shelf in the windowsill. It pitchered fine with no extra lighting and 30% humidity. I guess I have a different form than you guys or something...
    How big is yours? Mine is not tiny, but it is fairly small.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"