Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What should I get?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you better listen to the neps experts arround here, they know what they are talking about! if you want to know what a person that has nothing to do with neps growes (like me) with no problem at all....the answer it's a.... ventricosa! it's the only one i have and it's growing with the rest of my droseras outside in a more shaded place in a pot of lfs....no particular care, low humidity, less watering ...and the pitchers are getting bigger and bigger!
    ....and it would help to know your location ...if it's not a secret one
    Best regards,
    Marius

My Website: http://droseragemmae.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd seconed the truncata. Its super easy on windowsills. Its a little slow but it never fails to pitcher. They are huge for the leaf size.

Ventricosa? Plain? Are you sure we're talking about the same plant, Clint?

Its red. It has ridges. It has spike things jutting out from its peristome. It has nice splotching. Sure, there are some boring varieties, but if you're lucky you can make sure that you get this form. Plus its one of the easiast Nepenthes.

Others may disagree...but I have found Eyemae to be extremely windowsill hardy. It took just as long to settle in as Ventricosa and its pitchers have the same leaf ratio. Its basically a maxima with funnel shaped uppers:

Nepenthes around the house.com has tons of information on Nepenthes: http://www.nepenthesaroundthehouse.com/

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I'm afraid red spots and a different shade of red can't compete to this:

http://www.piantecarnivoreitalia.it/...ntes/big/3.jpg

Did I mention the leaves turn red/bronze in high light, and not just the midrib like some "other" species :P ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Yeah, I'm afraid red spots and a different shade of red can't compete to this:

http://www.piantecarnivoreitalia.it/...ntes/big/3.jpg

Did I mention the leaves turn red/bronze in high light, and not just the midrib like some "other" species :P ?
    I'll agree with you there. I still think ventricosa is underaprecciated.
    Anyway, back on topic...either of them (or pretty much anyone listed here) would make swell starter plants. Its up to you to decide which one of them is the coolest.
    Where are you located?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clint, you are evil! Now I want a N. truncata and a N. x miranda. Both witch I can't afford as I am in the process of upgrading my hermit crabs to a 29 gallon!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ditto on the recommendations. Truncata is always a winner, and one of my favorite neps around is ventricosa since you can get so many different types of pitchers on one plant.

Also, as mentioned, ventricosa hybrids grow much faster than the non-ventricosa parent (usually for me anyway) and look great. Can't keep it lowland enough for ampullaria? Get an ampricosa! Too warm for spectabilis in your house (that'd be pretty warm...) the ventricosa hybrid is really great.

If you can find a x --- Dragon then those are a very nice easy plants that get big also.

Anyway, a N. sanguinea was my first nep and yes it is easy to grow and pitcher, but there are a lot of much prettier Nepenthes around that are just as easy to grow.

N. x miranda is a great choice. I got one super cheap at a local nursery. I have yet to find a place that is selling x miranda where the pot doesn't have at least two points. As mentioned, i grow mine outside now that is summer and the leaves are a nice red/bronze and I am getting great pitchers.
    Updated Growlist!

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CPsInAtl View Post
    If you can find a x --- Dragon then those are a very nice easy plants that get big also.
    I'll second that motion. And, as relative to the previous suggestions of N. truncata, all of the "dragon" greges have N. truncata as one of the parents.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who said Ventricosas can't compete?

http://www.exoticaplants.com.au/admi...kbigmouth1.jpg

Plus there is the true Ventricosa which is white.

Daniel
    - Daniel

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast