User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Highland Growers - I need your HELP!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JMurphy97 View Post
    I grow mine in a cool basement but I'm still looking for a way to get night temps under 68 for the summer months. I might try to go with that gel ice. Is that just stuff you can find at wal-mart for use with lunch boxes?
    Yeah,
    It's the stuff for lunch boxes, etc. We use it to ship specimens and get it by the case. It is available in several different sizes, is harmless cellulose gum should it ever leak, and is quite cheap . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The gel ice barely lass the night for me. If it was used solo it wouldn't last that long at all. I use a bunch of water bottles with ice till I can make a chamber using a freezer. I have to change the ice bottles out every 12 hrs or so. It is a pain in the rump, but just until I can get things built in MN.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess that all depends upon your local climate -- something we all have to take into account growing things half a world away. Family in Florida can easily grow low-lander Nepenthes in hanging baskets next to a patio; I require heating.

In Northern California, highlanders can be grown to a large degree on a windowsill but those that require a Tb drop at night really need that extra punch. The gel ice works out here as needed. Use larger sizes then if melting is a problem, I suppose . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank You!

Hi again all,

Thank you for the input! Much of it does help to know what others are doing. I live in the midwest, so the flux of temps outdoors makes "windowsill" growing seasonal at best.

I will have the most control over an indoor setup I believe. For those of you who are growing indoors, I am curious how long your plants have survived. I have had limited success in the past, however a "thriving" plant is much different than a "surviving" plant.

I suppose the best thing would be to move to a mountain top in the tropics, but then I don't think "I'd" be comfortable there for long!

Thanks again for the help! It is appreciated.

Paul
    Experience is the best teacher. At least it used to be.
    But then, common sense isn't so common anymore, is it.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113866

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level DavyJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrowinOld View Post
    I live in the midwest, so the flux of temps outdoors makes "windowsill" growing seasonal at best.
    Not so true, my friend. I bid you to look at my location. Very midwest. I only grow highland Nepenthes, and do so with success only on a windowsill with some supplemental CFL bulbs.
    "We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Growlist: Updated 1/11/12 http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=110846

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am glad that some of the info was useful. Like I mentioned before, most of my ultra-highland plants are in propagators outside, where Tb gets into the fifties at night in CA. They do very well and grow larger each year (the villosa could get bigger faster!).

But as far as nighttime cooling is concerned, I will stick with the gel ice for the time being. It kept a seed grown N. hamata from becoming toast a couple of weeks back and I always have freezer space . . .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12