Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What could I grow?

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    N. ampullaria is fast, N. truncata is slow, and N. albomarginata is an average grower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might want to consider a fogger or humidifier for the room. Do you have any pictures of it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kruegersc4 View Post
    You might want to consider a fogger or humidifier for the room. Do you have any pictures of it?
    lol, I just put a humidifier in there. Nope no pics of the room at the moment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are some other lowlanders that are somewhat easy to grow?

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say that the bical will not like that humidity at all. It will go jet black the moment you expose it to those low humidity conditions. Bicals are notorious for blackening leaves, pitchers ...everything when humidity suddenly drops. If u would still like to grow it...get one of those 30$ indoor greenhouses...to grow this highly rewarding plant. But take care...it is known to be among the fastest nepenthes species and also can reach insane size given the right conditions. Your temps seem perfect for this plant. I don't grow any other lowlanders...so I can't help ya with the other species.

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see a lot of people responding and saying the humidity is too low. I disagree 100%.
    40-50% humidity is just fine. My average humidity is 35%.

It is true that when you receive the plant from a nursery that has been growing the plants in higher humidity then you are giving it, the plant will respond negatively. Most likely lose it's pitchers and sulk. Some people may leave them in these conditions a few more weeks and say to themselves, I need more humidity and change it's conditions, or change it immediately saying OMG my plants dying.
    It seems people want the plants to respond positively, immediately. Neps do things on a much slower time scale. In my experience it takes around 3 months to see a nep adjusting positively to lower humidity conditions. it will typically start to inflate it's first pitcher around this time.

Here are some old threads with pictures of some of my neps I have grown, or still growing in 35% humidity. They just take time to adjust.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=108509

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113974

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mostly any lowland nep should do well in there as long as you can maintain the temps and the humidity. Different nep species also like different light levels, so check that too.Wikipedia has a nice list with all the Nepenthes species so check them out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12