What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What could I grow?

Im looking for some ideas on what nepenthes to get next? The growing spot I have planned for this unknown nepenthes is in my reptile room. Its heated to 80-83 year round and has pretty good light but I plan on putting in a 4 foot fluorescent light for this plant. I would like to grow a bical or a rafflesiana. Would either of those be suitable for the growing conditions I have? Are there any other nepenthes you all would recommend?

Lowlanders would do great with those temps.
A bical or raff should be very happy.

I have a bical and raff I grow on a windowsill. Both are not very happy in winter cause I keep the house on the cool side 64 degrees. Out of the 2 the raff does better with the cooler temps.

What are some other lowlanders that would do good with those conditions? Do you happen to know of anyone that is selling or trading a bical or rafflesiana?

I'd go with a bical or ampullaria. They both do well in lower light and would like those temps. They're also two of the coolest lowlanders in my opinion. The only lowlander I like better is northiana but it's very tempremental and best suited for experienced growers.

yes albomarginata and ampularia why not a nepenthes truncata.
Is it 80-83F at night also? How about humidity?

yes albomarginata and ampularia why not a nepenthes truncata.
Is it 80-83F at night also? How about humidity?

yep 80-83 all day everyday. Humidity is usually around 40-50%.

Seems like pretty good conditions for most lowlanders. Ideally the humidity would be a little higher but the plants should acclimate and be fine.

How quickly do albomarginata, ampullaria, and truncata grow? I know they say bical and raff grow extremely quick but how about the others? Also what about madagascariensis, would it grow well in my growing condition?

N. ampullaria is fast, N. truncata is slow, and N. albomarginata is an average grower.

You might want to consider a fogger or humidifier for the room. Do you have any pictures of it?

You might want to consider a fogger or humidifier for the room. Do you have any pictures of it?

lol, I just put a humidifier in there. Nope no pics of the room at the moment.

What are some other lowlanders that are somewhat easy to grow?

I would say that the bical will not like that humidity at all. It will go jet black the moment you expose it to those low humidity conditions. Bicals are notorious for blackening leaves, pitchers ...everything when humidity suddenly drops. If u would still like to grow it...get one of those 30$ indoor greenhouses...to grow this highly rewarding plant. But take care...it is known to be among the fastest nepenthes species and also can reach insane size given the right conditions. Your temps seem perfect for this plant. I don't grow any other lowlanders...so I can't help ya with the other species. :(

I see a lot of people responding and saying the humidity is too low. I disagree 100%.
40-50% humidity is just fine. My average humidity is 35%.

It is true that when you receive the plant from a nursery that has been growing the plants in higher humidity then you are giving it, the plant will respond negatively. Most likely lose it's pitchers and sulk. Some people may leave them in these conditions a few more weeks and say to themselves, I need more humidity and change it's conditions, or change it immediately saying OMG my plants dying.
It seems people want the plants to respond positively, immediately. Neps do things on a much slower time scale. In my experience it takes around 3 months to see a nep adjusting positively to lower humidity conditions. it will typically start to inflate it's first pitcher around this time.

Here are some old threads with pictures of some of my neps I have grown, or still growing in 35% humidity. They just take time to adjust.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108509

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113974

Back