What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's Wrong with this sang?

Okay I got a N. Sanguania from XXXXXXXXXX.XXX and got it in perfect condition. Grown on a windowsill had a couple pitchers and now its been a year and it is in horrible condition. The water is RO and the soil consist on 2 parts cocohusk and fiber and 1 part peat. It has "rust" under the leaves. It started to do this 4 months before but thought that it would go away. here are pics (in macro)tell me if i am missing any info. for more pics go here: http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/ll256/cplover24/

2 months ago:
DSC01926.jpg

Now:
P6290013.jpg

P6290010.jpg

P6290004.jpg

Sorry if they aren't good but out of all these are the best.

Um. your album is private so we can't see your pics through that link.

Are you using that coco fiber in any other nep? If so, is it doing the same thing?

"rust" under the leaves sounds like mites.... spider mites. at least thats what they looked like on my nep when one had them. get some good systemic miticide and itll be fine.

Alex

the coco fiber is fine I have two sanguinea in the same mix different clones exact same soil from the nursery though I bought a bag when I started growing cp's. My HL truncata is in cocofiber my ventricosa two of my sanguinea and nepenthes glabrata as well as my spectabilis. I think cocofiber is not the suspect. I have a bit of rust under the leaves of my ventricosa but not on my sanguinea which is right next to my ventricosa. I think it's like leaf burn I moved my ventricosa to my windowsill in full sun and it's pitchers died and now some of the leaves look rusty but the new ones are fine and the plant is starting to form pitchers again. Give it time before you treat it with insecticide.

okay well it did get some heat in may so it may be stress. should i repot? OK DM, Mrflytrap2:I am only using cocofiber in this nep and the others are orchid bark.Glider14: i never saw it have any spidermites or anything. and i am sorry if the other pics didn't show out.

I second the opinion that it is spider mites.

I'm probably 90% sure just because you mentioned the "rust" coloring of the leaves.

Do yourself a favor and get some systemic insecticide quickly.

Spider mites are tiny, very difficult to see. They're porbably about the size of the period at the end of this sentence. They like the undersides of leaves.

Take a small sheet of white paper, put it under one of the leaves, tap the leaf sharply a couple times but not hard enough to cause damage. Examine the paper under strong light. If there are a bunch of tiny dots moving around you most likely have spider mites. You need at least 20x magnification in order to ID the species.

hmmm looks like the root is rottoning

It was suggested on the LACPS group when you asked about the problems with your Sarracenia flava that you check the water from your RO unit.

Your answer was your water was fine or else you'd have problems with your other plants.

Weren't you having problems with your Cephalotus too?

Looks like you have problems with another of your plants.

but the ceph problem didn't involve water quality and my other nepenthes is fine i asked my dad about then water and he said "no salts or minerals in our water" but the sang had problem probaly because of pest or burn becuase it was burn't in april. maybe because of stress, should i cut the top and let the bottom grow in new media?

Back