What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alright, I was searching on the forums for N. Madagascariensis when I realized that this is really a misunderstood and underappreciated plant. Reports of difficulty in cultivating this plant are really the products of misinformation, and I thought I'd share some of my growing experiences.

I bought this specific plant about ten months ago as a runt out of tissue culture, barely three inches across. It was my very first Nepenthes. Most of my time growing this plant was spent on a trial-and-error basis, so I do have some knowledge of its preferences.

Nepenthes madagascariensis is a true lowlander. This plant took off for me with temperatures at a constant 80 degrees F or above, with very good lighting...no more than a few inches from a 26W daylight spectrum CFL bulb. For a while, I kept it in a terrarium, but now with my home temperatures kept at a constant 80 degrees F due to air conditioning energy costs, I have found success growing it on a windowsill with generally low humidity. This plant appreciates very good air circulation. It is also susceptible to growth spurts. At times this plant has grown as fast as a Nepenthes ventricosa, but it has also put on slow growth habits at times, possibly because it redirected its energy to growing more roots. These periods of slow growth occur most frequently after trimming of yellowed leaves. therefore, I recommend not trimming leaves until they have completely browned.

This clone is the one from Agri-Starts III tissue culture. It is in fact a weak clone, and I would really like to see some more seed-grown clones in circulation, and raise a few of my own... Unfortunately, fresh, viable seed for this species seems hard to find.

These pictures show my plant as it is today. The leaf size does not really increase anymore as it grows...It has about a 6 inch leafspan. It probably needs to be repotted into a larger pot.

IMG_8520.jpg

This is a pitcher on my plant, with my thumb for size comparison. The pitchers are genetically "programmed" to be lopsided. Also, they secrete nectar from the front of the pitcher, not so much the peristome, as far as I can tell.

IMG_8521.jpg

Nepenthes Madagascariensis has a tendency to grow roots above the media, especially if it is moist. I used pure LFS, and I keep it on the drier side.

IMG_8523.jpg

Another pitcher picture. The pitcher is 2 inches tall.

IMG_8524.jpg

Hope you enjoyed my input.

Thanks.

Jimmy

Last edited:
Oh, and here's an old picture that shows how the pitchers are lopsided. It shows the back of a N. Madagascariensis pitcher to the left of the image. The left of the bottom of the pitcher bulges downward, while the right of the bottom bulges more outward.

126.jpg

beautiful plant! I should try to acquire one of those. :)

Jimmy,

Excellent post and pictures!

Nepenthes Madagascariensis is the only CP that I grow that is not a Dionaea and I've had the same plant since 2001. It's a great grower and I just love it.

Giovanni

Thanks guys!

Back