Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: N. khasiana windowsill growing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

N. khasiana windowsill growing.

I have an N. khasiana ( spelled correct?) that I've had for about 2 months. I am trying to acclimate it to a covered south facing window for some time. It is getting good sunlight and I mist it 4 or 5 times a day. When I got it it had one small pitcher which it dropped in the first week. I expected that. It currently has three leaves that wilted at first but are now fine. It also has a new leaf coming. The problem is that it has been this way for over a month. No new growth, but also nothing dieing/leaves and growing tip nice and green. Its like it is in suspended animation. I have a hygrometer on windowsill and humidity runs from 50-65%, sometimes higher at night. Is there anything I can do to make it wake up and grow? Should I just wait it out or go ahead and put in a terrarium? Any advice would be appreciated. Temps on windowsill are 78-85 daytime, 70-73 nightime. I know that N. khasiana is a highlander but have heard that they grow well as windowsill plants in solid intermediate conditions. Maybe I heard wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes it just takes a while for Nepenthes to acclimate to certain growing conditions, especially if the transition is rather drastic. Just give it some time; it should probably start growing soon.

Although, you say that the window is covered. How covered is it? Does it have like a thick cloth over it? That may then not be enough light for it.

-Ben
    He who can, does. He who can't, teaches. -George Bernard Shaw
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I say covered, I mean a slight awning that gives some shade late in the day. Other than that it gets fairly good sun from mid morning til late afternoon. I do not think it is a lighting problem. I had a large N. ventrata growing in the same window that had to find a new home due to how large it got. Wonder if might be humidity or temp problems but have been monitoring and everything seems in correct growing range. I don't know??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    give it time. even "easy" neps can take some time to readjust. For example, I have a N. x "Blackdragon" that puts out a new pitcher with every leaf... now. When I first got it it sat there for two months with nada. Same story with N. spectabilis. I had the thing like 8 months then it started doing it's thing again.

Misting may or may not really do anything. I have heard both arguments. Really if you are trying to harden off from a humid environment you can't beat a ziplock plastic bag, assuming it is small enough or the bag big enough.

I can't say I have experience with your nep in particular, but from what I understand reading about it as an "easy" plant, just let it be and adjust.

Also, if it seems your x Ventrata grew much faster, most hybrids do for some reason...
    Updated Growlist!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a khasiana hybrid, and though it's not on a windowsill, it's a pretty hardy plant!

I believe misting doesn't help, because it raises the humidity for such a short period of time, it doesn't make a difference.

My Spectabilis x Ventricosa didn't grow at all for a few weeks when it first was on the sill. Now it's doing much better.

My Ventrata took right off though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd recommend you just wait, as it is most likely just spending more energy growing a nice root system rather than leaves. I've grown N khasiana for a few years now under lowland/intermediate tropical conditions and it grows just fine. In fact, I'm gonna have to plant it in the backyard somewhere soon because it has just outgrown it's 5 gallon pot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the advise. I know to be patient. This is the first time I've tried this particular species outside of a terrarium and just wanted to be sure.
    I know about waiting. Waited for 13 months for my N. "medusa" to come alive. I've been keeping lowland Neps for over twenty years but just started keeping highlanders about 2 years ago. Since N khasiana is a highlander that can be grown as a low/inter and is supposed to be easy. Did not know if I was doing something wrong. Thanks all again.