User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cheap/Easy/Simple Ways To Cool Neps?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, Thanks for the replies guys, you've really helped me out!

I think I'll go ahead with the frozen water bottle method, and try to get my hands on a cool mist humidifier.

As for moving to someplace cooler...If only. Then I would be able to have a greenhouse!

Thanks again!

Jimmy

Corn is no place for a mighty warrior Nitecrawler's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha...if you are doing an ice water bucket, go ahead and add a bunch of salt to it. It will make the freezing point of ice lower without adding heat, so it will absorb more heat when it melts. Voila!

I've definitely used this method to cool down beverages quickly in a pinch.
    The water gets really cold.

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well...glad to help. I personally use 3 500 ml bottles....freeze them everyday and use them. It can be a chore...but it hardly takes 5 minutes so its not a big deal. Allows to also check up on the readings before going to bed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have my HL terrarium next to a window. To cool it at night, I take the top off, spray the inside of the terrarium heavily with distilled water, open the windows, and leave the curtains draped over the terrarium. This works pretty well and even though my room temps are rarely dropping below 72 F, the terrarium temps consistently drop to low 60's to mid 50's depending on the temps outside.

I also use two Tropic-Aire humdifiers. I put the Tropic-Aire cannisters and the air pumps outside with tubing going through my window. This keeps it quieter too. This works also but more as spot cooling and to a lesser extent cooling the right half of my tank more than the left. The problem with relying on this alone is that we have a house swamp cooler and it builds up air pressure in the house too strong and the air pumps pump air in super slowly after it's been running for a while. It's sufficient for cooling alone, however, if the day temps only run into the 70's. But here in South Bay Area CA they are hitting high 80's and low 90's consistently right now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12