Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need advice from experienced growers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need advice from experienced growers

I paid 40$ for a male specimen of nepenthes khasiana. It arrived with one beat up leaf but had two more and new growth emerging. I put it on my window in a plastic baggie with the corners sliced off. I was planning to cut the corners a little more each day for several weeks or so to help acclimate it to lower humidity. It was suppose to be a fairly simple process but for some reason all the lives died and the apical meristem has kicked the bucket. I have since moved it into my four foot tank under fluorescent lights. I still have the plastic baggie over it. I cut off the apical meristem because I was not sure if the hormone contained in the growth tip would still suppress basal production even though the apical meristem had died. I am waiting for new growth to emerge from dormant nodes but the entire vine itself was a woody vine and the plant that died appeared to have grow from an activated node from when the previous owner had last taken cuttings. I took a photo today their appears to be some round dots olive green and some orange things on the woody vine. I will take a picture and upload it. I have heard LFS is great for ill nepenthes, I have a bit I could re pot it in. Or do you think I should leave it alone and re pot it once it recovers.

Click for a larger view.

view my growlist
    http://grwlist.notlong.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thats mold. activated nodes dont often come from the woody vine. but it does sometimes happen. and they dont appear like that. they appear as one bulbous mass then emerge into the new growth point. your plant is dead. sorry =/ the best you can do is hope for a basal. but if it was a root problem to start with (ie. root rot) then its not worth saving.

Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's dead and that is the fungus from inside the stem trying to release spores.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do not give up yet! I had a N. merrilliana which had it growing tip cut off during the shipping process/hanging basket wire was shipped with pot and cut growing tip off. The main stem died but I kept it and now 2 months later I've got two basals coming up. You never know. Put it in an out of the way spot and wait awhile, maybe something good will happen. By the way keepwatering it like a normal plant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah its deffinitly mold, and not true glider, ive seen many activated nodes come from woody stems of plants, I believe it depends on if the plant is known for node/basal production. My N. Madagascariensis' "apical meristem" i usually call it the lead growth point lol, but it died and started sending out nodes like mad once the conditions hit right.
    Call the people you got it from and ask them about it, 40 dollars for a plant with 3 leaves seems a bit stupid imo.
    usually when you see a node starting, it looks like a small split just above a leaf, or the point where the leaf was, over time it splits more and produces a little nub which adventually opens leaves and turned into an immature plant, which if on a plant producing uppers, can go straight to upper pitchers, or maintain lower pitchers and start over, depending on where you took the cutting from.

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    C'mon guys! He said experianced growers!

I was reading online awhile ago about some guy's Nep that pretty much died and looked like yours, he didn't give up on it and kept watering like usual. Sure enough, some time later it grew a basal and went back to normal growth. He said it was a root related problem.

Good luck!
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know what the nodes look like, I was just wondering is it some disease that killed my plant or is that just mold? I repotted it in live LFS and I will keep the moss moist instead of sopping wet. I also took the bag off to discourage mold from growing.
    view my growlist
    http://grwlist.notlong.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, i figured youd know what nodes looked like, i didnt quite understand why you wouldnt xD i was like wait wha? when i read it. but yeah. keep with it, it will hopefully come back >_<

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast