User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My new N. Glabrata =) So Happy!!

A windowsill grower elsantaclause's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol sorry Cmm too excited

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What if I put ice in the plate and while it evaporates there is a fan softly blowing the evaporated ice air onto the plant. Would that work?

What is and what should never be Crissytal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ice on a plate with a fan or no fan isn't going to last very long. For the time it does last, it's not going to get your temperatures down to 55-60 at night. Anything uninsulated, such as a terrarium isn't going to work very well. To get something decent I'm afraid you'd have to go with a more elaborate setup which would involve quite a bit of money. Before you start fiddling with ice and moving your plant around, give it a go with your current conditions. It might work, it might not. If it doesn't, you can trade it for something that would be more suitable with the conditions you can provide.

Crystal
    Where do we go when we just don't know,
    And how do we relight the flame when it's cold?
    Why do we dream when our thoughts mean nothing,
    And when will we learn to control?
    --Godsmack

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks like a great specimen. Wonderful size. It has been growing very well. NICE NICE!!! I would say something like 60F is fine. However, apart from elaborate cooling methods such as using an airconditioner, swamp cooler, I can't see how u can get a standard 75F or 70F all the way down to 60F. I tell ya from my experience water bottles aren't enough to give such a drop. Water bottles give me only a slight drop down to 58F or so from 60F.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if i did get a swamp cooler

how am I supposed to set it up to get the low temps?

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I seriously don't know about swamp coolers man. THe only thing I know is that they are almost those 2 foot diameter fans which are used in greenhouses. It should use water to cool and also humidify the environment. I don't know about using it indoors...but I have considered it.

For the most part....air and water with a fan you can almost expect it to be pretty cool. I mean In India for our hot 47C summers, we used to have something we commonly call air coolers...not air conditioners which are relatively rare. It is basically a fan in an enclousure side, with the other 3 sides containing hay over a grill. Water is then circulated over the hay and the resultant is an insane cold experience which would get temps down all the way to even 20C or lower. It was highly effective. Its a proven formula from experience and I have always wondered about trying to make something of that sort of my plants.

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been about a month since you made this thread. How is your glabrata doing? Did you manage to lower the temps at night?
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say download something like The Weather Channel desktop thing, keep an eye on night temperatures and take advantage of them when you can.
    A bit late, but whatever.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast