What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My new N. Glabrata =) So Happy!!

elsantaclause

A windowsill grower
Hi guys I just got my N. Glabrata and I'm extremely happy with it. Its going to grow on my windowsill so hope it does well. Here are some pics:-D

What do you guys think:-O

P7170018.jpg

P7170019.jpg

P7170020.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
hahhaha its all....viney :3 but cute. tons of tendrils on that thing, damn! xD

Lol yea it does have tons of tendrils took me almost 10 minutes to untangle all of them lol

Good sized plant. Keep it very cool, or you can say goodbye. Never grown the species myself, but it does not like heat...at all.

It gets daytime temps of up to 85 degrees and at night drops to around 75 to high 60s humidity is around 80% at night and 60-70% in the day

So I think thats fine

85 to 75? That's probably not going to work long-term.

Wow, you're is way bigger than mine...

Good luck with it!

Don't forget to take cuttings, I've heard nothing roots as well as glabrata cuttings.

Congrats on the new plant! Though, I have to agree, those temps probably won't be good for it.

how do you guys suggest I cool it down and it gets to about 70-68 degrees most of the time. It is rarely 75 degrees or up at night

your in CA, turn on the AC xDDDD

Good sized plant. Keep it very cool, or you can say goodbye. Never grown the species myself, but it does not like heat...at all.

Mine takes warmer days 72-80F. That is with cool nights and high humidity. My nights are around 50-66F and humidity is always like 70-80%.

LOl I would but parents say electric bill to high. Were on flex alert lol -_-

DM how do you get your temps that low at night? or are they naturally like that?

Last edited by a moderator:
They are naturally that cool, I live in the Willamette Valley. Occasionally we have a warm night that doesn't cool down, the plant might tolerate the occasional warm night but I turn on my A/C then. Most nights are cool though so I can grow nepenthes that like it cooler like hamata and glabrata.

Oh yea you live in Oregon. I visited there before. Its cool there even during the summer. Southern California has weird weather- sometimes its hot and sometimes its cold weird

Wow! Is that the large Wistuba clone? That's an excellent plant! Better give it a lot of TLC!:-))

Oh yea you live in Oregon. I visited there before. Its cool there even during the summer. Southern California has weird weather- sometimes its hot and sometimes its cold weird

Oregon is only cool in certain parts of the state.

Where I am (about 45 mins south of Salem) the temps get really high all day (90s) and most of the nights are like 50s - high 70s during the summer.

It is way worse in eastern Oregon.

It's really a bummer, cause growing darlingtonia here is tricky.

Jimmy: Nope its not from Wistuba.
And it will definitely have a lot of TLC

The pauline cutting is doing really well too =)

85 to 75? That's probably not going to work long-term.
Hmm, I don't think its the day temperatures that are the problem, but the night tempertures. Highs of 85 are fine, if you can get it down to 55-60 at night. Since you can't, Elsantaclause, it could be a problem. If the day tempertures were any lower that would just make the temperture drop lower than it already is. That, in my experience, has been worse than having hight day temps. The times when my Nepenthes thrive are the times when the temperture drop is biggest, not when the temps are the lowest.
Mabye you can enclose it an a house of icepacks at night lol. If you can't get it any cooler you could always try growing it in your conditions, who knows it might work, even if it doesn't look great it probably won't die at least not for a while anyway. And if worst comes to worse you can trade it for something else in the trade forum.

Edit: Oh yeah forgot to mention...Nice plant!

What if I put the Glabrata in an open glass tank at night and put bags of ice around it? Do you think that will work? Or would a small fan work blowing a cup of ice at the plant work?

What if I put the Glabrata in an open glass tank at night and put bags of ice around it? Do you think that will work?

Hi,
I did that when I first started growing. It worked a little (got it down from 68 to 65). I'd say try it for a few days and see how it effects the temperture. It might not be much but its a start.

The two things I'd be a little concerned about:
1) how much you move the Glabrata around. Try to find a solution that minimizes the stress you put on your plants. Maybe a tank that you could put over Glabrata, and then fill up with ice packs?

2) When I did that my plants all got root rot. Mine wasn't open glass and I had them in there all the time so that probably was a deciding factor and I'm sure it won't be a big deal to you.

I honestly don't know whether it will help at all. Try it. See what happens. Nothings more valuble than 1st hand x-spear-ee-unc. As you can see ice packs never did much for me but perhaps if you have more you'll have more luck.
Hope that helps. Do others concur with what I say or am I all wrong?

Back