Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Artifical Light for Neps in General

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My taller shelves have T5 lights, and the lower, shorter ones have the four tubes like xvart. I think this is preferable to two tubes. In addition, I use mylar on the walls (or sides of the rack if you have just one) to reflect the light around, and that helps a lot. I'd go with at least four T12 tubes.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i use 4 to 6 T8 bulbs per shelf.....if i could fit 8 i would....i dont care for T12's they work OK but for the same price you can squeeze more T8s on a shelf......on the T5's as Capslock said i would use them for tall shelves but for short plants i think they put off to much heat to be useful, especially if your trying to grow highlanders in a place where your already having problems keeping temps down....now if your growing lowlands go for T5's.....yes T5's put out more light than T8's but they also put out alot more heat and some of us have more issues with controling temps than getting the plants enough light....in such cases T8's shine over the T5's....well that and their is the cost......i can rig up more square feet with adequate light with T8's than T5's for much less......hell a couple of T5 fixtures and lights will only cover 16 square feet of shelf space when for the same price i can cover over 40 square feet with T8's
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heat is definitely an issue in my case. My growrack has two levels, each with 4 t12's, and it gets up into the low 80's when they are on.

So - any idea if I were to use 6 t8's per level vs. the 4 t12's what the heat output might be like? I'd like to keep the light level high, but lose some of the heat output. Would t8's allow this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The heat wouldn't be as much of a problem for me as the cost of the T5. 'Dem suckers are expensive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nightsky View Post
    Heat is definitely an issue in my case. My growrack has two levels, each with 4 t12's, and it gets up into the low 80's when they are on.

So - any idea if I were to use 6 t8's per level vs. the 4 t12's what the heat output might be like? I'd like to keep the light level high, but lose some of the heat output. Would t8's allow this?

What kind of ballasts are in the fixtures? The bulbs produce some of the heat but the majority is from the ballast. If you have fixtures with magnetic ballasts they will produce alot more heat than electronic ballasts. The heat produced by a t12 vs a t8 is roughly the same. The t8 might feel a little warmer but this is due to the smaller surface area to dissipate the heat. So increasing the number of bulbs from 4 t12's to 6 t8's will produce more heat but if your t12 fixtures have the magnetic ballasts and you got new electronic ballasts for your t8 bulbs it might be possible to bring the overall temperature down.

The other thing you could do is remote wire the ballasts so they are outside your grow chamber. Would take a bit of wiring but you could eliminate the heat within the grow rack from the ballasts. You could also continue to use magnetic ballasts which are cheaper than electronic ballasts. Just don't electrocute yourself!
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Paroubek View Post
    What kind of ballasts are in the fixtures? The bulbs produce some of the heat but the majority is from the ballast. If you have fixtures with magnetic ballasts they will produce alot more heat than electronic ballasts. The heat produced by a t12 vs a t8 is roughly the same. The t8 might feel a little warmer but this is due to the smaller surface area to dissipate the heat. So increasing the number of bulbs from 4 t12's to 6 t8's will produce more heat but if your t12 fixtures have the magnetic ballasts and you got new electronic ballasts for your t8 bulbs it might be possible to bring the overall temperature down.

The other thing you could do is remote wire the ballasts so they are outside your grow chamber. Would take a bit of wiring but you could eliminate the heat within the grow rack from the ballasts. You could also continue to use magnetic ballasts which are cheaper than electronic ballasts. Just don't electrocute yourself!
    Well what do you know - thanks for this info! I indeed have magnetic ballasts. I'll have to switch those babies out!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12