Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Artifical Light for Neps in General

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Artifical Light for Neps in General

Will 2 t-12 40 watts each, which totals up to 6-7k lumens, be enough to grow most Neps inside or will I need more lumens?

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that should be okay, neps dont require as much intense light as say for instance... vft's and sarrs...

granted the more light the better but I dont assume that what your talking about would be inadequate...

a more experienced nep grower I'm sure will hop on here and let you know for sure though...

which neps you going to grow by the way?

-Chris

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level DavyJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I am not a more experienced nep grower, but I can tell you what works for me. I am very tight on space, so I use two desk lamps with a 100 watt equiv. CFL's. I supplement that with window light. You actually beat me to this question. My apt. next year only has north facing windows, and I would like to find something a bit... stronger... but need to use CFLs. I"m not highjacking this post, just.... adding an additional question. Where get I get a CFL that produces more then 100 watts equiv?
    "We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Growlist: Updated 1/11/12 http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=110846

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I currently use four 4' long florescent per shelf. One of these days I'm going to add another 2 bulb fixture to each shelf. They are T12's. Ratter said the other day that T8s are the same price as T12s these days, so if I had to buy my own bulbs I would be going the T8 direction.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also use a growshelf - due to the lack of light where I grow my neps. I also use 4 40 watt t12's per shelf- and the neps are growing fantastic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xvart View Post
    I currently use four 4' long florescent per shelf. One of these days I'm going to add another 2 bulb fixture to each shelf. They are T12's. Ratter said the other day that T8s are the same price as T12s these days, so if I had to buy my own bulbs I would be going the T8 direction.

xvart.
    Instead of T-8 or 12s, get T-5s, they are a little more but worth it since they put out a lot more light

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overmind1632 View Post
    Instead of T-8 or 12s, get T-5s, they are a little more but worth it since they put out a lot more light
    Yeah, but they put out a lot more heat from what I hear. I'm not ready to take it to that level with trying to cool my area, especially in the summer. T12s seem to be doing a fine job (maybe not the best, granted) but they'll do the trick until I'm ready to invest more money, time, and energy in "the one setup to rule them all."

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

What is and what should never be Crissytal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    T-5's also drastically increase the amount of heat. I'm using two 2-bulb T-12 fixtures with no problems at all with my Neps. It's strong enough for my N. spec. to keep the nice red blush in the leaves. That's good enough for me .

Crystal

edit: you beat me to it X lol.
    Last edited by Crissytal; 07-23-2008 at 04:54 PM. Reason: ninja'ed
    Where do we go when we just don't know,
    And how do we relight the flame when it's cold?
    Why do we dream when our thoughts mean nothing,
    And when will we learn to control?
    --Godsmack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast