User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Patience & Loving Care Pay Off..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say its sanguinea. The pitchers just dont look like ventricosa or ventrata to me. But that is just a guess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a thought here..

Sorry but there isn't anyone out there that can tell you with certainty what this Nepenthes is at this stage. I hope you can post updated photos in this thread as the plant grows and matures. It will be interesting to see how peoples current guesses pan out. In all likelyhood it will be much easier to ID with a definative answer when it matures. But even that isn't a guarantee. Fortunately the range of Nepenthes found in garden centers is somewhat limited so the possibilities are well known.

The important thing to remember.. and this goes for people that offer opinions on identifying unknown plants.

Don't go tossing names around unless you are certain. Don't go labelling unknown plants with names unless it is very clear exactly what it is, and at least a few knowledgable growers have verified the ID. There is enough mislabelled stuff floating around out there.. we don't need to add to it.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Normally I'd keep my mouth shut because I've seen plant ID guesses that were so ridiculously varied for one plant and it IS impossible to call, but in this case we know that Lowes carries an extremely limited variety of plants so it is a safe bet to guess that it is one of three or four neps. That's the only reason I'm saying "probably sanguinia"-because that's what I've seen from that vendor in the death cubes.

Norhtern Michigan Dragway Mama *Barracuda_45*'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Paroubek View Post
    Just a thought here..

Sorry but there isn't anyone out there that can tell you with certainty what this Nepenthes is at this stage. I hope you can post updated photos in this thread as the plant grows and matures. It will be interesting to see how peoples current guesses pan out. In all likelyhood it will be much easier to ID with a definative answer when it matures. But even that isn't a guarantee. Fortunately the range of Nepenthes found in garden centers is somewhat limited so the possibilities are well known.

The important thing to remember.. and this goes for people that offer opinions on identifying unknown plants.

Don't go tossing names around unless you are certain. Don't go labelling unknown plants with names unless it is very clear exactly what it is, and at least a few knowledgable growers have verified the ID. There is enough mislabelled stuff floating around out there.. we don't need to add to it.

Tony i apreciate the input, but i was "Not Implying" people identify this nep for me, i posted this thread to show everyone how i was able to save this nep from death with one leaf. I dont care what type nep it is the fact is its alive growing and doing well...
    Hey buddy wana run, LETS GO!
    Northern Michigan All Car Drag Team *PRESIDENT*
    Red Hot Cherry's "NEW" PB 8.741 GO CHERRY! & "5" 1st place trophy wins 9 sec class.
    www.nmacdt.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are correct there are limited choices so in the end it is likely that we will know what it is. By your use of "probably" you indicate that odds are good but not certain. Which is fine. I am not trying to disuade people from making guesses and having fun with it to see how they do with them. But it is important to understand the distinction between a guess that is not certain such as you made and someone else coming in and saying

'Oh yeah that is ____________'

Especially at this stage of the game where I believe that noone can say for certain exactly what it is. This will most likely come back to haunt me because someone will get lucky and get it right. Simply because as you mention the choices are limited so enough guesses and we will have a winner or two or ten. The fact remains though that at this stage they are guesses and not positive ID based on what we see here. The issue is when someone new comes to a forum like this in similar circumstance and asks for an ID on a plant which can not be positively ID'd and someone chimes in .. oh yeah that is _____. That person then goes off labelling their plant not knowing any better and another potential mislabelled plant is born.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You did a fine job with saving it :> and I am anxious to see it as it grows.

I know you didn't ask for an ID but one must admit that it is fun to guess! And whether someone asks or not people will still try and guess hehe

I am just hoping that some of the guessers will take some of what I said to heart and be careful how they post their guesses... misidentified plants are a petpeave of mine!

btw.. Englishtown baby... back when Connie, The Snake, Shirley, Kenny, Big Daddy were all running Top Fuel

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    .... and I luv that camera!

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, what jimscott said! Nice macros. What camara did you use?
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast