What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Patience & Loving Care Pay Off..

*Barracuda_45*

Norhtern Michigan Dragway Mama
Well im not sure what Nep this is. Back at the end of April i was in Lowes of all places getting some soil for my regular house plants and came across the reduced price rack and there was a tiny death cube with a very very tiny nep inside it looked awful no color except one leaf, so i snatched it up and took it home. After getting home i took it outa the cube and it smelt horrible, the Nep was completly rotted all that was left was one greenish leaf, so i took the chance and placed the one leaf in some moist LFS and continued to keep it slightly moist, finaly one day just when i was about to give up i noticed a new tiny leaf emerging, and thats when i knew i had done something right. Anyways long story short this is how it looks now and the leaf this one came from finaly turned yellow and died now i have a whole baby nep growing and doing great. Wish i knew what nep this was.. Its now slightly larger than a golf ball.

DSCF3237.jpg

DSCF3239.jpg

DSCF3240.jpg

My little mystery baby growing ever so slowly. :blush:

great! Probably a N sanguinea if it is from Lowes and looks like that. My first Lowes rescue was one of those but I overwatered and lost it. Good work! It looks quite happy with its new home.

Nice recovery! Maybe it's N. 'Judith Finn'? Might still be too small to ID.

Will be able to tell more when it gets bigger ;>

So how exactly does the loving car fit into the scenario?
(sorry I couldn't help myself)

So how exactly does the loving car fit into the scenario?
(sorry I couldn't help myself)
LOL

It must be Ventricosa if it's a somewhat recent Lowes purchase. It's the only Nepenthes species they sell now. (At least the only species that I and other a few other people said they have seen.)

:0o: :blush: :blush: OMG!! You guys im so sorry about the thread heading, OMG!! Im so imbaressed...:blush: :blush: See what happens when i dont wear my granny specs, i cant spell worth a crap somehow i must have missed the EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE on that.. Sorry.....:blush: Can someone fix that for me PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!:hail: :hail:

ilbasso, thats what i was thinking N. sanguinea, that would be cool if it was as i wanted to get one of them anyways...

Your plant looks very good for being mistreated by Lowes I was lucky with my N.sanguinea from lowes it was pretty healthy except the peat and LFS it was potted in was dry today it has three nice pitchers now that it's in new potting mix.

LOL

It must be Ventricosa if it's a somewhat recent Lowes purchase. It's the only Nepenthes species they sell now. (At least the only species that I and other a few other people said they have seen.)

It is weird how Lowes carries certain plants are in certain regions-we have sanguinias here. It isn't like either one is native to the area so I wonder why they do this? I hear stories of people picking up raffs in Home Depot and get jealous.

I would say its sanguinea. The pitchers just dont look like ventricosa or ventrata to me. But that is just a guess.

Just a thought here..

Sorry but there isn't anyone out there that can tell you with certainty what this Nepenthes is at this stage. I hope you can post updated photos in this thread as the plant grows and matures. It will be interesting to see how peoples current guesses pan out. In all likelyhood it will be much easier to ID with a definative answer when it matures. But even that isn't a guarantee. Fortunately the range of Nepenthes found in garden centers is somewhat limited so the possibilities are well known.

The important thing to remember.. and this goes for people that offer opinions on identifying unknown plants.

Don't go tossing names around unless you are certain. Don't go labelling unknown plants with names unless it is very clear exactly what it is, and at least a few knowledgable growers have verified the ID. There is enough mislabelled stuff floating around out there.. we don't need to add to it.

Normally I'd keep my mouth shut because I've seen plant ID guesses that were so ridiculously varied for one plant and it IS impossible to call, but in this case we know that Lowes carries an extremely limited variety of plants so it is a safe bet to guess that it is one of three or four neps. That's the only reason I'm saying "probably sanguinia"-because that's what I've seen from that vendor in the death cubes.

Just a thought here..

Sorry but there isn't anyone out there that can tell you with certainty what this Nepenthes is at this stage. I hope you can post updated photos in this thread as the plant grows and matures. It will be interesting to see how peoples current guesses pan out. In all likelyhood it will be much easier to ID with a definative answer when it matures. But even that isn't a guarantee. Fortunately the range of Nepenthes found in garden centers is somewhat limited so the possibilities are well known.

The important thing to remember.. and this goes for people that offer opinions on identifying unknown plants.

Don't go tossing names around unless you are certain. Don't go labelling unknown plants with names unless it is very clear exactly what it is, and at least a few knowledgable growers have verified the ID. There is enough mislabelled stuff floating around out there.. we don't need to add to it.

Tony i apreciate the input, but i was "Not Implying" people identify this nep for me, i posted this thread to show everyone how i was able to save this nep from death with one leaf. I dont care what type nep it is the fact is its alive growing and doing well...

You are correct there are limited choices so in the end it is likely that we will know what it is. By your use of "probably" you indicate that odds are good but not certain. Which is fine. I am not trying to disuade people from making guesses and having fun with it to see how they do with them. But it is important to understand the distinction between a guess that is not certain such as you made and someone else coming in and saying

'Oh yeah that is ____________'

Especially at this stage of the game where I believe that noone can say for certain exactly what it is. This will most likely come back to haunt me because someone will get lucky and get it right. Simply because as you mention the choices are limited so enough guesses and we will have a winner or two or ten. The fact remains though that at this stage they are guesses and not positive ID based on what we see here. The issue is when someone new comes to a forum like this in similar circumstance and asks for an ID on a plant which can not be positively ID'd and someone chimes in .. oh yeah that is _____. That person then goes off labelling their plant not knowing any better and another potential mislabelled plant is born.

You did a fine job with saving it :> and I am anxious to see it as it grows.

I know you didn't ask for an ID but one must admit that it is fun to guess! And whether someone asks or not people will still try and guess hehe

I am just hoping that some of the guessers will take some of what I said to heart and be careful how they post their guesses... misidentified plants are a petpeave of mine!

btw.. Englishtown baby... back when Connie, The Snake, Shirley, Kenny, Big Daddy were all running Top Fuel

.... and I luv that camera!

Yeah, what jimscott said! Nice macros. What camara did you use?

:blush: Trust me guys i have not yet learned how to run this cam right yet..:blush:
Its a Fuji FinePix A610 6.3mega pixcels, i know its has tons of settings but my stupid arse has to figure it out....:blush:

Back