Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: about to get my first Nepenthes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

Yep, light is way more important than humidity if you want your ventricosa to pitcher!
    Can you grow the Nep alongside your other CPs? Or is it too big?

Don't worry about trying to acclimate it, either. Just set it down where you want it and leave it, provided it has good lighting, and it usually won't skip a beat (I mean, a pitcher haha) if it's healthy, other than perhaps losing a few pitchers it comes with at first.

I moved my ventricosa from my very hot, very humid, very lighted terrarium onto a cooler, south-facing windowsill with humidity that never goes above 50% (usually 35%), and its doing great, making larger and thicker leaves (not etoliated though, in fact sunlight is better than flourescents), and it's even starting to vine now! It lost a couple pitchers naturally in the process, and it hasn't lost a single leaf since being moved.

Anyway, Congrats on your new Nep, and I hope that you lget to appreciate Neps a lot more from this ventricosa! You may get hooked before you know it! Lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
    Hello,

Yep, light is way more important than humidity if you want your ventricosa to pitcher!
    Can you grow the Nep alongside your other CPs? Or is it too big?

Don't worry about trying to acclimate it, either. Just set it down where you want it and leave it, provided it has good lighting, and it usually won't skip a beat (I mean, a pitcher haha) if it's healthy, other than perhaps losing a few pitchers it comes with at first.

I moved my ventricosa from my very hot, very humid, very lighted terrarium onto a cooler, south-facing windowsill with humidity that never goes above 50% (usually 35%), and its doing great, making larger and thicker leaves (not etoliated though, in fact sunlight is better than flourescents), and it's even starting to vine now! It lost a couple pitchers naturally in the process, and it hasn't lost a single leaf since being moved.

Anyway, Congrats on your new Nep, and I hope that you lget to appreciate Neps a lot more from this ventricosa! You may get hooked before you know it! Lol
    my other CPs? lets see, its outside in full sun...
    Happy Holiday

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm well how much would it cost to run a 24w cfl bulb for 1 year, 10 hours a day, 7 days a week? Do the math!

10 x 24w = 240 watts/day x 7 days = 1680 watts/week x 52 weeks = 87,360 watts/year or 87.36 Kw

I don't know how much electricity is for you but I will estimate 15 cents per Kw
    87.36 Kw x .15 cents = $13.10 to run the bulb 10 hours a day every day for one year

You can adjust the numbers for different sized bulbs, different length of time running the bulb each day, different cost for electricity etc.

Do you need to run the bulb all day?? I don't know. my East window gets plenty of sun and a plant in the window gets enough light to grow reasonably well. But if your window is shaded from outside or the plant isn't close to the window then odds are you will need to use artificial light. Bright indirect light in a room isn't going to be enough I don't think.. not without at least some direct sun through the window.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have a sheltered spot outside? Like under a tree or something where the plant could get a little shade? Your area of the country you can probably grow it outside nearly all year. But you are correct.. full sun all day would be a bit much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, where i try to grow my sphagnum, its under a table with little see throu hole. and my sarracenia and vft are on top of that table, so i try to grow it under there hopefully its not too hot for my sphagnum. but its partial shade partial sunlight. the coldest it ever got here that i know is like 45F.
    Happy Holiday

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well not to steal a thread or anything but would it cost $13.10 a year or per day? also well you could put it under a not so bushy tree so it would get protection from the sun and have light, also wouldn't you have to worry about pest if you put it outside?the coldest it got over here is about 40-35F

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Paroubek View Post
    $13.10 to run the bulb 10 hours a day every day for one year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well i doesnt get that cold over here, but yeah, under tree, under table. same thing right?
    i dont know how much my area's electricity cost.
    http://www.ladwp.com/ladwp/cms/ladwp001710.jsp
    if anybody know anything about these kW or electricity, please help me out.
    Happy Holiday

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast