What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

highland vs. lowland truncata?

Ant

Your one and only pest!
I am thinking of getting a truncata but, witch form is easier to grow in Mass? Also is there a difference in size, how fast they grow, or pitcher shape?

Both of them. Truncata grows the same regardless of what elevation it was collected from: slow. Temperature doesn't affect them unless its extreme

There's definately a difference in pitcher color. ;)

Of the highlands I've seen, they generally have a good amount of red coloration.

So, I should go by price?

There are LLs with good color, esp in the throat. Mine:
DCP_1755.jpg

I am thinking of getting a truncata but, witch form is easier to grow in Mass? Also is there a difference in size, how fast they grow, or pitcher shape?

I have to agree with phissionkorps. I've had both highland and lowland Nepenthes truncata and they've both responded well to either growing conditions; what is more, I confused the two plants early on and cultivated one as the other. No difference, save for dislikes of extreme Tb. They can be grown as reasonable intermediates.

How fast either form of N. truncata grows is -- predictably -- determined to a great degree by how it is cultivated; generally, warmer Tbs lead toward more rapid growth but I've noticed no real diffrence in growth rate or size differential with either plant. I simply expect the older plant of the two to be slightly larger . . .

Back