Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: N Rajah update

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just because the plant is damaged a little bit does not mean its a bad plant, breathe life back into the rajah

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    several people have rajah seedlings across the globe. i for sure know of 3 people that do. but they like N. edwardsiana seed have technically been illegally obtained. unless people had seed grown rajahs before CITES started anyways.

Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to see that they´re growing for you .
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't think you have room for 2 I would be glad to take the other off your hands!

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes! There are people who do have them. But one question perplexes me @ jimmy: Why a seed grown rajah? Its not that the 4 clones are hard. I mean for plants which have only one clone in cultivation and that are impossible to grow, you can say maybe that a seed grown one MIGHT be tougher. But, You can see sooo many people who are growing the clones successfully, the clones are available easily (+ you are in the US...there are a number of sources), at cheap prices. FRom a person I Know, it can take about 10 months + for the rajah seed to germinate and it can take 3 - 4 yrs before it can reach a 5 to 6 inch plant. You can get that sized (<20$) or even bigger (12 inches plant) for less than 40$.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vraev,

My problem with growing a TC rajah is just that, across the globe, most people are growing those clones. In fact, on another forum, I saw that one person had propogated so many of the TC clones that after 12 years, they ended up with over 250,000 plants, ranging from small, to in-ground, flowering-size plants, and now they have them at a facility tended to 24/7. That's a lot of rajah plants, but they are all of 4 (or less) unique genetic clones!

Plus, I don't have good highland conditions during the summer, and if I'm going to try to grow a rajah and provide it with the proper conditions as it gets larger - the big pot, the large grow chamber, the proper temperatures, lighting, and humidity - I'm going to want to grow a plant that I know will grow up to be a unique individual. Plus, with a seed-grown plant, there's a chance that it may be female, and then that would mean that seed from rajahs in cultivation could be distributed more easily, if not completely legally, to ease stress on the wild populations from which seed, whether it be in large or small amounts, is being collected illegally.

If I could move someplace that I could build a greenhouse that could be maintained without too much money put into heating, cooling, etc., then I might consider a normal TC clone. But not here in the desert of southern New Mexico, where I would have to pay more than a 1-of-4-male-TC rajah clone is worth, in my opinion, just to maintain the proper cultivation conditions. Unless I can have a magic window installed...but I only know of one of those in existence!

I know of at least four instances/people who have grown rajahs from seed, or obtained a seed-grown plant. One of those plants I have seen in person, and it is one of the most incredible Nepenthes I've ever seen in cultivation! But I haven't heard of the law carting them off to jail or even taking a ruler to the tops of their hands.

I don't know a lot about the CITES restrictions on N. rajahs, but if they allow absolutely no collection of seed, that's rediculous. They should at least allow controlled collection of small amounts of seed by authorized personel to be distributed to trustworthy and experienced growers. I know that I'd entrust the entire future of Nepenthes in the hads of certain growers. Conservation through cultivation. Ha, what would happen if Mt. kinabalu caught aflame and the destiny of N. rajah was worse off than N. clipeata, with no "legal" female clones in cultivation?

And, with all the troubles with rajahs and laws, I'd much rather dedicate similar efforts to growing new, awesomer species, currently without any CITES restrictions, like N. spec. nov. D.A.

Regards,

Jimmy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Um, if there are no females in cultivation then why not have someone get a permit to take a few cuttings of wild females? That way, no seeds are taken, the indivual females genes will still exist in the wild and we will finially have a Rajah clone 5 that will be female.

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ant View Post
    Um, if there are no females in cultivation then why not have someone get a permit to take a few cuttings of wild females? That way, no seeds are taken, the indivual females genes will still exist in the wild and we will finially have a Rajah clone 5 that will be female.
    Taking a cutting of a female in the wild could potentially be worse than taking seed. Forcibly interacting with a female could be detrimental to the plant, or at least set back flowering for a long time, thus affecting the wild population by creating significantly less seed. Then factoring how small Nepenthes germination is in the wild, you could have caused something bigger than you realized.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast