Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is hamata tentaculata? Part II

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, is it second closest related species toothed?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For practical reasons, I don't think tentaculata and hamata should be clumped. Look at the price difference between the two... you can get a tentac for under $20 but you'd be hard pressed to find a hamata for under $80. If they were clumped, we'd probably get things like "N. tentaculata v. hamata" for $150, buy it and it ends up a normal tentac. Also, all the vendors would use hamata as their stock picture for tentaculata, which just should not happen.
    Insanity is a sane response to an insane world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uhh what "practical reasons"? Even if there were good reason (which price differential is not), even John Turnbull has stated that it is the same exact plant, save the teeth, and the hairs. I wouldn't mind having them as subspecies of each other. Then no one would use a hamata photo for a tentac, etc. Either way, no one would do that. They would just keep a price differential on hamata and claim it as the "toothed variety" or something. Raff is all the same spp, but people will pay tons of money for special forms.

I don't know why hamata is so expensive anyway. It's nice, but it ain't that nice. Also, there are multiple clones from at least 3 locations in TC, and some seed grown ones. Not like it's rare in situ.....
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Viva La Revolution de Nepenthes! nepenthes369's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phissionkorps View Post
    I'd speculate hamata. It's much harder to move up a mountain than down it.

I agree after truly thinking it out yes for them i'd agree due to their acclimating esspecially after growing from seed in much more intermediate to warm highland conditions to now lowland to cool intermediate conditions but am curious about a couple unsure due to mix up which I'm starting to think that they're a couple of the highland species I got to sprout from seed but have to get them through the summer and a couple more years and maybe find a cooler area for them.

R
    Viva La Revolution de Nepenthes!

Growlist:
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=108969

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phissionkorps View Post
    Even if there were good reason (which price differential is not), even John Turnbull has stated that it is the same exact plant, save the teeth, and the hairs. I wouldn't mind having them as subspecies of each other. Then no one would use a hamata photo for a tentac, etc. Either way, no one would do that. They would just keep a price differential on hamata and claim it as the "toothed variety" or something. Raff is all the same spp, but people will pay tons of money for special forms.

I don't know why hamata is so expensive anyway. It's nice, but it ain't that nice. Also, there are multiple clones from at least 3 locations in TC, and some seed grown ones. Not like it's rare in situ.....

I have to agree with PK here. But the reason why it's more exspensive is probably because of the teeth and that they want to make them believe that it's rare and exotic, IMO anyways. This is probably getting a bit off topic.
    Last edited by Capensis; 08-01-2008 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Added quote.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Two flies one pitcher. Minus the crap eating. obregon562's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im gonna go off the board and disagree. Just on the sheer virtue of the teeth. How, why, would a plant de-evolve one of the most complex pitchers in the genus? The whole pitcher structure of hamata is so much more comlex (hairy, more colorful, and bigger i think) too. Why would it loose something it had to work so hard for? I think tentactulata came first, slowly moving UP the moutain and gaining teeth as it went.
    "It's easy to rip on cops, when you aren't the one needing saving"

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by obregon562 View Post
    I think tentactulata came first, slowly moving UP the moutain and gaining teeth as it went.
    I believe that, too, because of the angle of the mountain being like this / or maybe even lower, the seeds would easily scatter down while the seeds that go the other have to slowly work their way up. So pretty much as it went up, it evovled being at a different height and location. And besides, N. hamata had to appear there somehow. But who knows which one was first? Just adding some details :P.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think tentaculata is the original plant. If neps couldn't move up and down mountains then there wouldn't be any lowlanders.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast