Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Plant MD's - what ails my nep?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plant MD's - what ails my nep?

This is a small singalana that had been growing quite well until about two months ago. At that time, the leaves started getting dark patches on them, and it hasn't pitchered all that well since. The new leaves are fine, but after a couple of weeks they show this symptom - as you can see in the picture. I thought it might be mites of some sort, but I honestly cannot see any at all - and tapping the leaaves over paper yields nothing.

I'm thinking it's 'sunburn'. It sits about 6 inches or so below 40 watt daylight flouros (there's a total of 4 of them - only 2 are directly above the plant) for about 15 hours a day. Well drained media (here recently watered - it's not kept wet), temps of 60F - 78F, 75%-90% humidity.

So - any idea what this may be? Is it light levels, or some type of fungus/parasite?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same thing happens to my ventricosa, shows no signs of pests. Grows right next to my sanguinea some of the leaves are even touching and the sanguinea is just fine.
    view my growlist
    http://grwlist.notlong.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like leaf burn. But splotches of strange pigmentation can also be just a natural occurence. I have no experience with singalana, but my N. madagascariensis gets small red-purple spots on old leaves, before they yellow and develop further strange pigmentation, and then the leaves die sooner or later.

Also, as you can see, the new, light green leaves are smaller than the old, burned ones, which I'm assuming were greener. That's a good thing. It means that it can get the same photosynthesis accomplished with a smaller leaf area, and less chlorophyll.

Leaf burn on my N. sanguinea looks very similar. But Neps seem to adapt to light levels, so as long as enough of the new growth isn't affected, I wouldn't worry. You're plant seems to just be adapting.

Jimmy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nightsky View Post
    This is a small singalana that had been growing quite well until about two months ago. At that time, the leaves started getting dark patches on them, and it hasn't pitchered all that well since. The new leaves are fine, but after a couple of weeks they show this symptom - as you can see in the picture. I thought it might be mites of some sort, but I honestly cannot see any at all - and tapping the leaaves over paper yields nothing.

I'm thinking it's 'sunburn'. It sits about 6 inches or so below 40 watt daylight flouros (there's a total of 4 of them - only 2 are directly above the plant) for about 15 hours a day. Well drained media (here recently watered - it's not kept wet), temps of 60F - 78F, 75%-90% humidity.

Since the problem seems to affect only the older leaves and none of the new growth, I would have to agree with some of the others in that it is simply a bit of leaf burn and perhaps aging of the leaves. Some of my more exposed Nepenthes get will that coloration from time to time -- also, only on older leaves . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is happening to the newer leaves on my ventricosa even the pitchers some and the new growth point.
    view my growlist
    http://grwlist.notlong.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watch them closely, it might be a sign of mite damage or some other insect. One of my neps started doing that, quickly spreading to others. Eventually even new growth had the same pattern. The mites were not visible, but the effects were. I applied a mixture of bayer advanced complete insect dust with water. After doing that, all the neps began to grow normally without the red splotches.
    My Grow List

"It is only by studying nature that can we ever hope to defeat it."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok - bayer advanced - I'll have to try that just in case, as I do see this on my bongos also. Any other suggestions for mites - just in case?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No other backup needed, this should solve your problem. (if it's a bug) And if you can't find it, PM your address and I'll send you out some to use. Main ingredient is Permethrin that you're looking for.
    My Grow List

"It is only by studying nature that can we ever hope to defeat it."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast