What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just a thought...

Would I be able to grow a few neps outside in the summer? We get pretty hot days, around 80 F or higher in the day, with humidity being around 70% average. My dad says it was around 90% humidity yesterday. Nights are in the upper 50s F. I may take a cutting of my sanguinea or ventricosa to try it, but I would need to know if I would need any kind of protection from the sun. Would this be a good idea to try or would I just be killing a great plant for no reason?

It's a great idea. The sanguinea would be just fine under full sun. The ventricosa would appreciate some shading. What other neps are you planning to put outside?

I'll just be doing one for now to test it, but I love my sanguinea. Is there a way to take a cutting of it? It's a small plant and it doesn't have all those branches like most people's older neps.
NSanguineablacknectar.jpg

No, you can't take a cutting off a plant that small. Wait until it is a foot or two taller if you want to take a cutting. Good luck with that!

That's what I've been doing, for the past several weeks. I started them off under a table and then moved them to direct sun. The leaves take on a bronze color.

Dang. I don't want to risk the whole plant but... I might give it a shot

if you want, check out the weather here in Atlanta. I grow my sanguinea outside all summer as well as my amp, Miranda, trunc x ventri, and "mystery Pyro raff seedlings" from a couple years back.

The only thing you need to watch out is the plant drying out so pay attention.

Otherwise Michigan should be fine.

Thanks. I just set it up under the trailer where it gets some light. I had to make a little cage around it to keep the cat from getting it.

No, you can't take a cutting off a plant that small. Wait until it is a foot or two taller if you want to take a cutting. Good luck with that!

you cant just straight up say that cuttings cant be taken from a plant that small. on multiple occasions ive had 1 node half inch cuttings that rooted just fine from a ventrata and sanguinea with barely a 2-3 inch leaf span, if that.

~billy

I'm just saying that it is better to avoid taking a cutting off a plant that small.

Back