What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hamata

What's the growth rate of your hamata? In a month and a half my hamata has produced two new leaves and a pitcher. I grow mine with daily temperatures of 80-90 and night temperatures of 45. The humidity is around 70% during the day and 50% or less during the night.

been told once they reach a certain size/age they grow pretty rapidly....my lil one that was originally a tiny basal is growing about the same rate as yours in temps of about 75 day....65-70 night.....50% humidity....

What's the growth rate of your hamata? In a month and a half my hamata has produced two new leaves and a pitcher. I grow mine with daily temperatures of 80-90 and night temperatures of 45. The humidity is around 70% during the day and 50% or less during the night.

Mine tend to grow at a reasonable rate; and as they age, I've noticed more rapid growth and consistent pitcher formation, more so than other species. Keeping them cool at night like you describe is a good sign . . .

im going to be finding out the growth rate here soon myself lol, but from what ive seen, they grow pretty quickly. A friend of mine had a seedgrown one a couple years ago from BE, and it is now flowering size. mind you the plant was about the size of a quarter when he got it.

Does your friend know the gender of the plant?

I just got a BE seedling hamata about 2 months ago. It was also the size of a quarter. It has now produced two leaves and is about the size of a 50 cent piece. Its settled in and starting to make its 1st pitcher.

Not yet Mr. Truncata, however, here in a few months, we very well could find out. we are both praying Female lol.

what you do to put your hamata to 45 deg at night? Put in the fridge??

That or your A/C bill is whacked out.

Yes, I do put it in a fridge at night. It goes in with a densiflora every night

hahahaha here in a couple months ill be able to get my room down to 45 no problem....xDDD washington state is funny like that....ill just have to sleep with 2 blankets ;) the things we do for the sake of our plants....o_o

new Hamata

Just got a small Hamata with one pitcher on it and another just starting to grow. Now I have a 2 40watt floresent light and I keep it at 75 during the day and about 45 at night. do you guys think that is enough. would love some opinions from you guys that have grown these.
I live in the north east and the and the weather has been very wet and cool. Thanks

Just got a small Hamata with one pitcher on it and another just starting to grow. Now I have a 2 40watt floresent light and I keep it at 75 during the day and about 45 at night. do you guys think that is enough. would love some opinions from you guys that have grown these.
I live in the north east and the and the weather has been very wet and cool. Thanks

Sounds promising, especially the cool temps at night. Humidity is also an important factor, especially with young plants, whose leaves are terribly thin . . .

I'd say one pitcher about every 6 weeks sounds about right. That's for my seed-grown hamatas. I used to have a BE clone and that seemed to grow slower. Temps sound good too. Mine only gets down in the 40s in the winter time. 50s the rest of the year. You might be better off with higher humidity at night though.

Pics! I could probably grow one here in FL if I stuck it in the fridge every night lol (very tempted to try that now). How long have you had yours?

@hamata

Wow, never thought I'd see this thread again. The hamata is long gone, died while I was away at summer camp two years back.

Back