User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 17 to 24 of 42

Thread: Nepenthes sibuyanensis

  1. #17

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga
    Posts
    342
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    upper, it depends on the plant. As mentioned anything with ventricosa in it is going to speed up its growth.

    For example, I have a N. spectabilis and N. spectabilis x ventricosa (or maybe the reverse, but it doesn't matter). I have had the pure spec for about 2.5 years and it is on its 4th pitcher EVER and never has been put in a bigger pot. The hybrid I have had for about 6 months, probably even less, and I have had to up the pot size twice and usually has about 6 open pitchers at once.

    Some neps are really fast growing, just some aren't. I don't have any experience with ventratas or even alatas but that is usually everyone's first nep for a reason. The only ventricosa crosses I have that are slow are crossed with truncata and ampullaria.
    Updated Growlist!

  2. #18
    ilbasso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    722
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd probably depend on the differences in conditions from the seller and your place. It could take a while to settle in.

    I'm concerned about this vendor. If it were a decent CP nursery, I'd think that a ventrata would have more pitchers than you'd know what to do with. If it is a non-CP specific source, they could have no idea of what to do with it which could set it back. They could have been feeding it or watering as they would other plants. This could all delay the settling in of you plant.

    If it is a mail order generic plant source...and is located in Ohio...don't do it.

  3. #19
    Lover of Mountains nightsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    near Salt Lake City
    Posts
    1,409
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by upper View Post
    sooo... anyone know how long it would take for a new leaf to finish forming and finish pitchering? i wouldnt want to wait like 2 months looking at a normal non carnivorous plant that only weired people collect because everyone knows that every normal human being collects carnivorous plant
    And with certain neps, it take even longer than that! Just a heads up - it can take a long time for neps to settle in and pitcher.

  4. #20
    What is and what should never be Crissytal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,149
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CPsInAtl View Post
    For example, I have a N. spectabilis and N. spectabilis x ventricosa (or maybe the reverse, but it doesn't matter). I have had the pure spec for about 2.5 years and it is on its 4th pitcher EVER and never has been put in a bigger pot. The hybrid I have had for about 6 months, probably even less, and I have had to up the pot size twice and usually has about 6 open pitchers at once.
    I think it can also depend on the clone of a particular plant as well. I received a N. spectabilis in the second week of June. It's been happily growing in lowland conditions with humidity between 40-60% and has produced at least 4-5 pitchers in that amount of time. I find it to be one of the more faster growing Nepenthes. Maybe I'm just lucky? *knocks on wood*.

    I know there's a few people that have received a spec and have had no luck in getting it to pitcher at all under proper conditions.

    Crystal
    Where do we go when we just don't know,
    And how do we relight the flame when it's cold?
    Why do we dream when our thoughts mean nothing,
    And when will we learn to control?
    --Godsmack

  5. #21
    Chunkyhunks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Granite Bay, California Zone 9
    Posts
    232
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by upper View Post
    i just started with a nep i heard they grow pretty fast, so i didnt expect 2 month to develop a leaf with a pitcher o_O especially when i have to grow it indoor.
    This is where quantity comes in. Get enough plants and there's always something going on, so you're not constantly hung up on the slowness of that one plant.

  6. #22
    Capensis Killer upper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles,CA,Zipcode:90027
    Posts
    923
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'll get like 2-3 plant. i want a medium sized plant, in like a 4-6 inch pots or something. not small 3inch plant or Giant 16 inch plant. just wanna start at the middle right now. my ventricosa already made 1 or 2 extra leaf with pitcher on it, and its getting BIGGER every day.
    Happy Holiday

  7. #23
    Lover of Mountains nightsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    near Salt Lake City
    Posts
    1,409
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chunkyhunks View Post
    This is where quantity comes in. Get enough plants and there's always something going on, so you're not constantly hung up on the slowness of that one plant.
    This is one of the primary reasons I grew my nep collection. I had a couple plants, but it was like watching paint dry waiting for the next pitcher. Now - something is always happening!

  8. #24
    Lover of Mountains nightsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    near Salt Lake City
    Posts
    1,409
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissytal View Post
    I think it can also depend on the clone of a particular plant as well. I received a N. spectabilis in the second week of June. It's been happily growing in lowland conditions with humidity between 40-60% and has produced at least 4-5 pitchers in that amount of time. I find it to be one of the more faster growing Nepenthes. Maybe I'm just lucky? *knocks on wood*.

    I know there's a few people that have received a spec and have had no luck in getting it to pitcher at all under proper conditions.

    Crystal
    I have the 'ugly duckling' spectabilis, north sumatra, and it does grow fast - faster then by ventricosa even. But I haven't had much luck getting mine to pitcher, after about 6 months. But - I think that may change soon. One pitcher is finally starting to inflate. Guess it just took a long time to settle in. Can't wait!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •